An Orange at a BBQ???

Jonny46

Dirt Disciple
Images on page 2 now.

Hey guys,
I've just returned from a friends BBQ and lurking in his shed he has an early rigid Orange P7 in what appears to be great condition, although it hasn't turned a wheel in at least 8-9 years he says. I believe it's early as the seat slot is at the rear and it has Canti brakes which I believe are the originals.
I was considering buying it to take some of the LX groupset off to put onto a Kona i'm planning on building as the frame is too big for me at 19," I measured from the BB to the top of the seat tube.

Are there Orange lovers out there that would be interested in it? I've put a post in What's it worth as I'm pretty new to this and have no idea on values. If anyone could tell me if the frame or components are desirable or whether it is just not worth bothering with.

Advice please guys

GuyWood":11c04lrb said:
My advice? Chuck us a photo or 10 :).

I couldn't even get out as it's behind the families evolving bike collection, I counted 11 whilst I was in there. I'll do my best to get over there in the week.

Just tell him a bunch of lies :D
Its worth nothing :D OHHH lots of rust, remember to tell him it also rusts on the inside. Need new bearing maybe even new wheels :p
Offer him £30 then 'owe him it' ;) He is a mate after all , prime material for being bumped. If you feel guilty then buy him a few extra beers of offer out the blue to pay for something.

Most frames are measured from the center of theBB to the center of the top tube , not the top of the tube but the middle and also not to the top of the seat tube.
I cant remember and oranges early or otherwise being measured in 18" ,they went on the odds 15",17",19" etc
Chances are its a 17" But a pic would really help.

The other rule of thumb is the that the top and down tube almost meet at the head tube on the 17"-er and there is a decent gap on the 19"-er.

Roughly the 19" C-T steel/Ti oranges measure 17.5" C-C. So a lot of room for confusion. especially when you are looking for a proper 17"-er

Plenty of P7s on here so you'll certainly have a few vultures circling with intent..... :D

Sounds like a '94 or '95 model - are the decals purple or orange? A nickel frame I assume, or possibly black?

If the forks are nickel I'd be interested for starters! ;)

Matt

dyna-ti":qoqojmyv said:
Its worth nothing :D OHHH lots of rust, remember to tell him it also rusts on the inside. Need new bearing maybe even new wheels :p
Offer him £30 then 'owe him it' ;) He is a mate after all , prime material for being bumped. If you feel guilty then buy him a few extra beers of offer out the blue to pay for something.

Most frames are measured from the center of theBB to the center of the top tube , not the top of the tube but the middle and also not to the top of the seat tube.
I cant remember and oranges early or otherwise being measured in 18" ,they went on the odds 15",17",19" etc

A load of tosh, centre to top of seatube became the standard ;-) pretty much as soon as the top tube stopped being horizontal.
Kona, Rocky, Orange ...

Some dodgy companies use that old method like Marin and GT for example..
But not the cool ones (bar Kona)..

If people could help expand the list...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/MTB_Frame_Measurement

FluffyChicken":28nbss9e said:
dyna-ti":28nbss9e said:

A load of tosh, centre to top of seatube became the standard ;-) pretty much as soon as the top tube stopped being horizontal.
Kona, Rocky, Orange ...

Some dodgy companies use that old method like Marin and GT for example..
But not the cool ones (bar Kona)..

If people could help expand the list...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/MTB_Frame_Measurement

Tosh TOSH ??!! :shock:

I do believe were talking about n early P7 which therefore would have a horizontal top tube so the C-C would be correct would it not ?

So who is talking tosh now ;)

Nah orange are to top, says so in the catalogue, I think I referenced it in the wiki.
And if you have a flat tyre or over long forks the tube slopes :LOL:

FluffyChicken":rcet510r said:
Nah orange are to top, says so in the catalogue, I think I referenced it in the wiki.
And if you have a flat tyre or over long forks the tube slopes :LOL:

...........runs off to find catalogue......................

Back