Rohloff SLT-99 Chain

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
As with my Mavic post, I've been after a Rohloff chain to go on my Pace for an age, but all the ones on the bay are just silly prices...so was pretty chuffed to get this one for $35 recently :)

I also obtained some nice Rohloff Oil to go with it from the NZ importer for Rohloff. We met up and he told me about his visit to Germany where he met 'Mr Rohloff' who said after his Dad died a few years ago, they stopped making these chains...too labour intensive (apparently every chain link was checked my hand by his Dad once it rolled off the machine!) :shock:

They obviously still make the Rohloff Hubs, but his passion lies with Steam engines...go figure...either way, I'm pretty happy and interesting to hear that little story :)

Attachments

• IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,348
Rich":3997trt8 said:
they stopped making these chains...too labour intensive (apparently every chain link was checked my hand by his Dad once it rolled off the machine!) :shock:

I think, that´s a little bit from the tales and myths. ;) There was discussion on german forums when Mr. Rohloff decided to drop the chain production and afaik they stopped it due to the overwhelming varieties of different chain widths and specifications that were introduced with 9speed and 10speed drivetrains. It was too cost-intensive to adapt the self-designed and built chain assembly machine ("das Grüne Monster" / "the green monster") to the newer chain specs. The machine had built-in quality control, no need for Mr. Rohloff to sit beside the machine day and night. :D

I used the SLT-99 all the way through the nineties till 2009, when my last (second!) spare chain was worn and i couldn´t get a replacement any more at normal costs. :| This was a damn-fine chain, it outperformed EVERY other brand even under harshest conditions. If you are interested, i have some photos of the "green monster" and an article about Mr. Rohloff and his products (of course in german) from a bike magazine bitd.

Ahh, thanks for that :D yes, that would be pretty cool if you're able to post some shots, haha, still love the idea of him sitting down testing every chain :)

It was a nice chain, I still have the spare bits.
Though the sticker you got to put on your bike was much better.

My chains (2) snapped a few times so I gave up using them.
This was early 90's so back to XTR/DuraAce and finally SEDIS.

Back