New to SPD's

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Had my first ever pootle on some spd's. Bought them to help with my 100 mile charity ride hoping to improve pedal efficiency. Nice and easy to use, I look forward to the first time I forget I am clipped in.... :)

Whatleymeister":py0fvyd7 said:
Had my first ever pootle on some spd's. Bought them to help with my 100 mile charity ride hoping to improve pedal efficiency. Nice and easy to use, I look forward to the first time I forget I am clipped in.... :)

It's funny when it happens. You feel yourself go, you realise it's too late and you can't help but just laugh as you go over then lay on the ground chortling away to yourself. Of course if you do it next to a handy telephone pole/lamp post/parked car you can put an arm out and save your embarrassment.

i believe in fixies":12722yp6 said:
Whatleymeister":12722yp6 said:

It's funny when it happens. You feel yourself go, you realise it's too late and you can't help but just laugh as you go over then lay on the ground chortling away to yourself. Of course if you do it next to a handy telephone pole/lamp post/parked car you can put an arm out and save your embarrassment.

Wasn't quite so funny when I was a "clipless noob" - I happened to be on the towpath of the Leeds-Liverpool canal at the time, in January, with ice on the water...

I managed to unclip (underwater) and had to find a suitable branch with which to extract my bike - fortunately there was someone there who felt sorry for a shivering teenager and he gave me (and my bike) a ride in his car the 3 miles home (I had to sit on a bin bag so I didn't get his seats wet).

The best way to do it is I clip one foot as you approach traffic lights or whatever and then fall the other way.

I have a routine when I get new cleats or pedals where I sit on the bike in the house clipped in holding onto a doorframe and the clip in and out loads of times until everything feels a bit more used. Plenty falling over incidents but always offroad when I make a mess of a tricky section. Touch wood always uphill so far.

Iwasgoodonce":1hooxyyf said:
The best way to do it is I clip one foot as you approach traffic lights or whatever and then fall the other way.
This is exactly what I am anticipating! Going out tonight for an hour and its all road, but not going to gun it anywhere and continually remind myself I am clipped in.

Speaking of which, why are they called clipless yet one has to 'clip in'?!

nope....we just go under them...

ps .they made trenchyard barracks square so the green jackets wouldnt get lost...

signals rule.

Back