Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Hi All

I'll have to make this a very quick update.

Some of the kit has been upgraded, this was done due to personal preference. The cheaper kit was 'Ok' but I need something which is designed to take a little bit more of a battering. I have bought a pair of Ortlieb Classic rear roller panniers, not cheap but they will last me for the rest of my life if I take care of them. On the trail they proved to be more than suitable for the job. Waterproof and tough, just what I wanted.

I have also ditched the original tent and replaced it with a higher quality item. The original whilst adequate was simply not tough enough. I bought a Vango Banshee 200 tent and after mentioning it to my pal Nigel he bought the same. Nigel completed hours and hours of research about the Vango tent and found that it came out top in the value for money stakes. An amazing tent I have to say, very well designed and covered in great little design features.

In certain areas I feel that it is best to spend a little more, you don't have to as I have already proven but I want to keep this thing going for years so better panniers and a quality tent are a must for me.

If it were not for my upgrading the tent and panniers I would still be under my £100 budget !

Now the ride. We set off from Willerby, cycled to Hessle then started following the Trans Pennine Trail to the east. We hit a few stopping points along the way as the trail crosses over several large dry dock and lock gates, all of which were in use when we hit them so we had to box around the lock gates. We then sped onto Paull, on the Humber bank. From Paull we meandered through East Yorkshire visiting Torngumbald, Burton Pidsea, Roos, Aldbrough and in a roundabout way Hornsea, the stopping point of the easter section of the Trans Pennine Way. The weather was perfect and we were still talking about the fantastic scenery and beauty encountered during the ride.

Our campsite for Saturday night was here: http://www.chccs.co.uk/. The site was very good indeed and was only lacking in one area, it has no toilets. It does however have field nearby ;-) One thing to note is that it is directly opposite the village pub (Pricey we felt), it is very clean and only 2 minutes away from the Trans Pennine Trail. The pricing was good at £10 for a pitch which more than catered for our two tents. I'd go again and would recommend it to anyone travelling and camping in the area.

Sunday morning saw us eat whilst trying to rid ourselves of the hangover we both had. A few pints were quaffed in the pub the night before over a game of pool. We then dropped onto the Trans Pennine Trail and pushed on back to Hull. This only took us a few hours as the TPT is generally of good repair and is very easy riding.

I'd have more info on mapping ans times but Strava, again, crashed and only recorded 31 miles of the journey. I'm fuming.

My pal Nigel will be measuring the distance covered but I think it will be 40-45 miles on Saturday followed by 15 miles on Sunday.

Now, the pics:

GEDC2691_zpsb8f6d291.jpg

GEDC2694_zps5b4990ef.jpg

GEDC2699_zps988a3f7f.jpg

GEDC2701_zpsc695ab88.jpg

GEDC2705_zps33fbed4a.jpg

GEDC2709_zpsb6e3002f.jpg

GEDC2715_zpsc5f2846f.jpg

GEDC2721_zpsac66d144.jpg

GEDC2727_zps27c8211f.jpg

GEDC2729_zps3e04789f.jpg

GEDC2730_zps7f91c9db.jpg

GEDC2737_zps5ba70235.jpg

GEDC2738_zpsaa7162db.jpg

GEDC2740_zpsdb0fbcc6.jpg

GEDC2748_zpsc849ff6f.jpg

Cant wait to join you on the next ride, been looking at all sorts of camping gear today, what type of sleeping bag did you use ?

Cant wait to join you on the next ride, been looking at all sorts of camping gear today, what type of sleeping bag did you use ?

I used the sleeping bag our lass has had for a while which has been used very little. It's a:

Mountain Equipment - Firewalker 1.

It's rated at -5 degrees.

This is the Ultralight one which has a 'Two Season' rating: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Equi ... 5657e49a65

If I were to go out and buy a new one I'd not spend more than £50. Any old bag will do as long as it can be packed small. If you get stuck for a sleeping bag I have two spare ones, you can borrow one to get you going. If you like it as much as I do you can invest more later . Don't go spending too much early on ;-)

If you need more advice on what kit to use let me know, I have learned many lessons already and can give you a few pointers.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great stuff! Here we the other week are with retro Dawes mtn tandem for me an No2 son, hotrod retro Konas for the wife and No1 son, borrowed Bob Yak and Wild Country tent. We discovered that our pans are too small these days to feed 2 adults and 2 kids quickly and need an extra burner and bigger pots!

Attachments

• bikes1.jpg
    bikes1.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 858
  • camp1.jpg
    camp1.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 856

hamster":1yutbuio said:
Great stuff! Here we the other week are with retro Dawes mtn tandem for me an No2 son, hotrod retro Konas for the wife and No1 son, borrowed Bob Yak and Wild Country tent. We discovered that our pans are too small these days to feed 2 adults and 2 kids quickly and need an extra burner and bigger pots!

Great stuff, this is what we need to keep this thread alive hehe.

Keep it coming.

The next ride for me is pencilled in as being July 19th, 20th and 21st, sleeping over at two different locations on the Friday and Saturday nights.

This is open to all comers. Feel free to join me but make sure you have enough kit and food to cover what is potentially three days. If you are not sure what to bring let me know, having learnt a few valuable lessons whilst riding and camping recently I can offer some good advice.

If no one can make the full three days I will gladly cut the ride down to the 27th and 21st, those days being a Saturday and Sunday.

Start point will probably be Doncaster, travelling south via the Trans Pennine Trail to Chesterfield then camping just short of the Peak District. Again, this plan can be changed and I am open to suggestions.

More details to follow.

Trebz":36wfev99 said:
The next ride for me is pencilled in as being July 19th, 20th and 21st, sleeping over at two different locations on the Friday and Saturday nights.

This is open to all comers. Feel free to join me but make sure you have enough kit and food to cover what is potentially three days. If you are not sure what to bring let me know, having learnt a few valuable lessons whilst riding and camping recently I can offer some good advice.

If no one can make the full three days I will gladly cut the ride down to the 27th and 21st, those days being a Saturday and Sunday.

Start point will probably be Doncaster, travelling south via the Trans Pennine Way to Chesterfield then camping just short of the Peak District. Again, this plan can be changed and I am open to suggestions.

More details to follow.

This lands right on the next national ride ?

Why not ride to the national. Would be lovely ride from stamford bridge to cropton. About 25/30 mile but rolling through the howardian hills so challenging enough. Just a little but busy to realistically be ready myself or i'd be very tempted...

Back