1994 Lotus Monocoque; Meets it's maker.

Re: 1994 Lotus Monocoque

The forks;

1. I enjoy a challenge.
2. They're already fitted
3. They don't owe me anything

and 4; I stripped them today. Internally they're perfect. The crown and brace are perfect. They now hold air and oil perfectly! If I sort the legs, they're done. One of the legs is 80% stripped, so I'm going to have a bash with the lacquer.

Mr. Chicken; Aside from the fork, the bike is very rideable. not it's finished state by a long way, but 100% functional. I want to get a feel for it before I start messing with it.

MTB Dave, if the SLs don't work out, RC35s are my first choice!

In for a penny....

DSC01825.jpg

One down, one to go...

Hi My teenage Self

Very intersting work in progress.

In fact SL and RC35s can give 2 different styles to the bike.
On one hand, the delicate combination between carbon-steel-gold-brown leather gives a classic touch.
On an other hand, the total cabon association is more "high tech".

Just a suggestion, if you are in contact one day with Chris Hornzee-Jones, why not ask to him to autograph your bike.
Wouldn't be the culimination of your youth's dream ? :D

Wish you the best.
Xbike

Attachments

• LOTUS-SPORT-MTB-01.jpg
    LOTUS-SPORT-MTB-01.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,396
  • LOTUS-SPORT-MTB-02.jpg
    LOTUS-SPORT-MTB-02.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,396

Ack.

Well, the forks haven't worked well at all. I just can't get the lacquer thin and consistent enough. So, I'm going custom, but can't decide on colour. The wife suggested matt black to match the frame, I'm thinking British racing green, or even brown to match the saddle, grips and skin wall tyres.

Over to you guys; what colour?

Hmmmmm....

team_lotus_main.jpg

Ahhh, some nice weather at last!

As the fork didn't work out quite as planned, I shot them with some metallic burgundy I had left over from another project. Came out nice, but I'm not convinced it's the right colour. I have some new decals from Gil, but I'll wait until I decide on the final finish. I also did the long travel mod, so they've now got around 60mm travel. Just involves chopping down the top out sleeves:

DSC01827.jpg

Some fresh oil, and she's looking good:

DSC01835.jpg

Gave her a clean and a once over, I've put the ubiquitous Charge Splashbacks on for now to see what all the fuss is about ;) When I free up some cash, I'll be getting some re-issue Smoke & Darts.

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

MMMMmmmmm... Titanium Dropouts...
DSC01833.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

And then out for the inaugural ride:

SAM_0354.jpg

SAM_0349.jpg

SAM_0357.jpg

She's a weird ride. Almost like a softtail, but no bobbing and very compliant, but still feeling taught, and not a trace of wallowing. The forks are buttery smooth, but I've never ridden a fork this flexible! Hilarious!

I was worried about 'Never Meeting your Heros'... No worries here, I think I'm more in love than I was nearly 20 years ago. :D

Re: 1994 Lotus Monocoque *First ride; Pg 3*

Loving this...

re' the forks.... have a look into a sign company or vehicle graphics firm and see what they can offer for carbon wraps. Ther are some really awesome products out there at the moment, some of which we use wt work, that you could use to carbon wrap the fork legs with

that looks amazing! I havce to say, of the two pics xbike posted, I definitely lean towards the first arty shot, and not beacuse its arty...it just looks the bizznizz

I have to say I am not a fan of the Lotus, it just never appealed to me, but I take my cycle helmet off to anyone who finds their unicorn and then rides it.

Fair play! And I hope you have a great time with your Lotus.

Back