It's black, long, low and slack - my 2013 Banshee Rune V2

Re: It's black, long, low and slack - my 2013 Banshee Rune V

I have no idea how this bike rides, but it looks as charismatic as all hell.

Cheers.

Think it rides really well if you prioritise descending ability over climbing (which I do). I think Singletrack were right when they described it as a winch and plummet bike.

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on this...

Not long after my last post we went to Peebles fora week and had a cracking holiday which involved lots of riding. I really enjoyed Glentress and so did my other half who loved the blue loop which was a hoot. The bike performed really well...

Just mucking about a the side of the blue climb up from the visitors centre:

cfhiXFx.jpg

gKZalKT.jpg

Mucking about in the freeride area:

hE435e9.jpg

On Berm Baby Berm which was ace fun...I rode this section of the blue loads. And then a bit more.

UDIqGpJ.jpg

At the top of Spooky Woods. Linking the red sections down from here was ace; Spooky Woods, Super G, Hot Squad, Pie Run, Mushroom Pie and Magic Mushroom. All brilliant fun.

jyubDiY.jpg

Khow6uj.jpg

And again on a sunnier day.

pwPC3ZS.jpg

And just some random pics that I quite like.

2RAfict.jpg

YqX8b0M.png

pCsBR96.jpg

w2RZW8s.jpg

mTHNTFa.jpg

Since getting back I haven't ridden it too much partly because I've been on the other bikes and partly because I fiddled with the suspension settings and made it ride like a bag of spanners. Basically I cranked up the compression settings and it was horrible. It's a bike that works better sitting slightly into the travel especially in th corners.

I've now wound the compression back to my pre-Scotland settings. I've also added a short cage Type 2 clutch mech to reduce chain noise and a pair of ODI Vans grips which look ace but I'm not sure they're all that comfortable.

c8vDQU8.jpg

cMxiW73.jpg

rmCrsz1.jpg

When I get paid this week I'm going to get a Race Face narrow wide ring and will try the bike without a chain device. My bottom bracket is also a bit graunchy so ill order an XTR one from Rose Bikes and possibly a new chain.

Just thought that I'd update this a bit...

The bike has been ridden a fair bit, Llandela, Hopton and a big weekend in Swaledale which included lots of climbing which want too bad on a single ring. The following weekend I went to Antur Stiniog which was ace...

c7LHThE.png

The bike worked really well, really well. I was really surprised that I didn't drop a chain. The thick thin ring works really well, even on pretty rough trails. Had one crash early on when I got cocky on the red run and came off a drop too fast and hit a rock by the side. Ended ip bouncing off it, hitting a rock on the other side and going over the bars.

The drop to a 32 tooth ring has been really good for the winter.

Went to Llandeela again today which was pretty dry and the sun was out, so all good.

ox4K2n3.png

lOKzrfx.png

Hopton Woods is ace for those who haven't been; I love the fact that it incorporates the old national DH's. The first section is utterly brilliant dropping away into some nice corners. The first big climb is a b*tch but you gain a lot of elevation for which you are rewarded for. Son of the other singletrack bits are a hoot too. It's been built really well and there are loads of roots which are a bit cheeky. The Tube seemed in its element when I went and is can't wait to go back.

mindmap3, which size of sx trail did you use and which size of banshee rune did you buy? and what is your height?

Hi mate, I had a medium SX ( there's a thread about it in here) but now have a large Rune. If I'm honest, I probably should have been riding a large for ages but they don't always look as good.

Mindmap3":pc8wv8gj said:
Hi mate, I had a medium SX ( there's a thread about it in here) but now have a large Rune. If I'm honest, I probably should have been riding a large for ages but they don't always look as good.

Thank you. What is your height?

A shade under six foot, but I have longish legs.

I've found the trend for steeper seat tubes to counteract slacker head tubes is making modern bikes shorter.

Do you use a 50 mm stem?
How the bike climbing? Do you have probability to compare Rune and Spitfire in the season?

I apologize to so many question. I read my information and the opinion from real rider would be helpful

Yup, 50mm stem with 780mm wide Answer bars.

It climbs loads better than it has any right to (for a 33lb 160mm travel bike). It's definitely a winch and plummet type bike, but it doesn't really hold me back too much. It can be a handful on really tight singletrack due to it being long and slack, it feels a bit less nimble than the SX which was great fun to throw about but once speeds pick up, it's much more stable.

I didn't like the Fox CTD shock on the bike that I demo'd so I paid extra for the CCDBa and I'm glad I did.

I didn't try a Spitfire and part of me wishes that I did because it was probably the right bike (140mm travel but designed for longer forks and tough) but I was nervous about spending this sort of money without riding it first. That doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with the Rune, it's just that if I'm totally honest with myself it's probably too much bike for general riding...but on the other hand it did well at Antur and I have an uplift day at Bike Park Wales in March. As long as I keep doing stuff like that, I think I can justify it!

Back