What are these cranks?

nathanm26

Old School Hero
I purchased these cranks off eBay for £12. They werent listed with a brand. I'm going to use them on the SS build I have underway. I gave them a quick autosol but have more polishing planned. Don't think they are anything special but I'd still like to know who made them.

Do you know what they are? There are two stamps on them; one that says Z46 (they are 46t) and the other could be the devil or a cat holding a shotgun. I have no idea.

7a7be102067de2b1a3259db159731db6_zps60b7d485.jpg

0bcd6a53c13909f5eb76b3098b3db594_zps4de10ff1.jpg

N

Thanks Shaun,

How old do you the they are?

Here's a close up of the logo. I'm not sure which way up I should be looking at it:

d8275348aeea420a1623eb5ccc41af91_zps49d6b45e.jpg

698dd958fd7b4ebbd29b6112c7a09279_zps3c0d918f.jpg

N

Can't place a make, but they look far eastern to me. I hope you have the bottom bracket axle and end bolts, and check the pedals go in before you fit them. Pedals are right hand thread for the right and left hand thread for the left.
Keith.

They look a bit like the Nervar cranks that came on the cheap Peugeots int eh 70s. That pedal hole looks larger than 9/16?

Hi guys,

I do have a square taper axle and end bolts from one of my BB's but I need a new BB for this project anyway. The pedal threads are standard size (have already threaded a pedal in to check) and they fit the axle I have.

Cheers

N

Ohh yea,

The only thing is it looks like it takes a 1/8 chain so the old 3/32 chain I have can't be used. I'll be buying a SS conversion for my hub anyway so I'll just make sure to buy a sprocket for a 1/8 chain (and buy a 1/8 chain).

N

Midlife":35kcw8le said:
Look a bit like Magistroni, but not quite. Before my time though :D

Shaun

Absolutely, positively NOT Magistroni. Not Italian for that matter. Looks like low-end from the 80's or 90's. The chainring appears to have been made in such a way that it could work swaged (like here) or fitted to an ashtabula crank.

Hi,

They look remarkably like a set of Thun cranks i bought recently but i do not think they had the cat-type motif on them.

Richard

TGR":gzaml1hn said:
Hi,

They look remarkably like a set of Thun cranks i bought recently but i do not think they had the cat-type motif on them.

Richard

I have googled Thun cranks and they do look similar. Thanks for the suggestion.

N

Back