1994 Lotus Monocoque; Meets it's maker.

Re: 1994 Lotus Monocoque

Lol, thanks Rob, Kind words. The Royce hubs may have to wait a while, but I agree, they'll look awesome on this frame.

Soooooo.... Forks are holding air, but losing a little oil, so they're gonna be stripped, as I plan to re-finish them. The finish is flaking off if large pieces (well, it wasn't, until I started picking at it, it's kinda like a scab...). The metal underneath is *quite* tarnished, but polishes up really well, so it's just a matter of finding a decent match for the original yellow lacquer, which I've not seen anyone do yet?

Ah well. I had a go with some on an old seatpost, and ended up with this, if I'd bothered to polish it a bit better, I suspect it may have looked a little more impressive! :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

DSC01813.jpg

Hard to find a reference picture for the original finish?

That doesn't look too bad, the Mg alloy may give a different sheen/tint to it.
Which laquer was that. I'll see if I can find the person who did some nice ones. Probably someone like hte chap who does the M900/M730 crank refinishing.

FluffyChicken":2y1ejprq said:
That doesn't look too bad, the Mg alloy may give a different sheen/tint to it.
Which laquer was that. I'll see if I can find the person who did some nice ones. Probably someone like hte chap who does the M900/M730 crank refinishing.

Thanks Fluff.

The lacquer (tamiya polycarbonate paint, Translucent yellow) is a little yellower than the stuff that's come off (in sheets! I reckon that it's a powdercoat), but as there is hardly any way to reference against original, I can't see it matters? should still look 1000x better than it does now! The tricky part is getting a VERY thin and even coat of the yellow; too thick and it turns bright yellow.

I'll get some more pics up tonight. Also, I intend to do the DIY long travel mod unless someone has a set of spare top out sleeves lying around?

Pics.

You can see that it's not a bad match, once you consider that the 'polished' metal underneath is actually grey! You can see what a 5 second hit of brasso can do too, back to a mirror finish in seconds.

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

What's interesting is they are the MAG21 SL, technically not the SL/Ti
What are the four crown bolts and 4 brace bolt/bosses made of?

Iirc, the SL colour was a bit less shiny and fraction darker than the SL/Ti. Oddly I don't remember the SL being marketed.

Hi My_Teenage_Self
This bike is just beautiful.
I didn't know that Lotus made an MTB model in that time and I thank you to make me discover.
Beyond technical considerations, and as I am a designer myself, I am amazed also by the incredible “elegance“ of this frame.
I encourage you to complete this beautiful project and hope you will let us see the final result.

Xbike

Here a link to Aerotrope site that I've found on the net if someone like me want to know more about your bike
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CD4QrQMwCQ

FluffyChicken":1egvzppt said:
What's interesting is they are the MAG21 SL, technically not the SL/Ti
What are the four crown bolts and 4 brace bolt/bosses made of?

Iirc, the SL colour was a bit less shiny and fraction darker than the SL/Ti. Oddly I don't remember the SL being marketed.

100% SL, brake posts and bolts are steel.

From this thread: Retrobike LINK

SLSLTIII.JPG

FluffyChicken":1egvzppt said:
That and a fancy laquer. Sl suppose to be a green-gold colour and the SLTi a translucent gold colour.

TBH, I'm happy with it. It's more about making them presentable (they look a bit rough at the moment)... unless anyone can suggest a custom colour...?

xbike":88gdf5yz said:
Hi My_Teenage_Self
This bike is just beautiful.
I didn't know that Lotus made an MTB model in that time and I thank you to make me discover.
Beyond technical considerations, and as I am a designer myself, I am amazed also by the incredible “elegance“ of this frame.
I encourage you to complete this beautiful project and hope you will let us see the final result.

Xbike

Here a link to Aerotrope site that I've found on the net if someone like me want to know more about your bike
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CD4QrQMwCQ

Very kind words Xbike, Thanks! I've exchanged a few e-mails with the designer, Chris Hornzee Jones, but haven't had the chance to ring him yet. He still rides one of the pre-production prototypes!

How easy would it be to colour similar/tone in with the frame?

Does anything else need doing to the bike or does it all just work :-D

I'll be nicking your painting methods anyway.

If you can't work out a suitable way of sorting out the forks,why not use a pair of pace rc35's?
There carbon fork legs would look good with the frame and give it a "stealth" look too, imho.

I remember these and can I say that yours looks really good.

Back