Vernier calipers

I've got a posh mitutoyo set for work, and a cheap plastic set for home,
In both cases they are only as good as the batteries you put in them. £1 shop batteries last days, the last pound shop battery I fitted instantly made them display the low battery "B" warning!

Aldi ones are fine for occasional use, certainly good enough for use in identifying part sizes on a bike.
If you want to get fussy about accuracy when measuring fits during manufacture you don't use a vernier, you use bore gauges for holes and micrometers for o/d's
The nickname for verniers is "very nears" ;)

Aldi/lid or the same on ebay are perfectly fine for the old bike. Seatpost vary by 0.1mm anyway even between the same size.

They are pretty repeatable and accurate for the intended purpose.
Take the battery out when not used for a bit.

Keep the run clean as oil can make the measurements jump.

I have two sets at home and we use them for our a-level and igcse pupils at work and they've not broken them yet.

You end up using them for all sorts after a bit if they're just lying there.

For thin stuff though, screw gauge work better, cannot think of anything on a bike that would need that as even the callipers will pick out the v-brake shim kit widths.

Oh and buy SR44 (silver oxide) over LR44 (alkaline) for them. EBay is a good source... I should know as I buy loads for these damn Hexbugs :)

A bit like those micrometer g clamps

The Aldi's ones work fine , but as stated for general bikes stuff they are all you need
They are however only as good as the person using it

The black Powerfix Aldi ones are very good. Mine have been dropped / left on machines every day for the last two years.
The blue ones they sometimes sell are absolute rubbish.

jimo746":20rrr0ma said:
I just bought some cheapo (under a tenner) digital vernier calipers for exactly the reasons you mentioned. They work just fine for me :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251084353086? ... 1439.l2649

Cheers jimo746 mine arrived today. I wasn't sure which of the cheapy ebay ones to buy but
figured if someone else was happy with them they'd be ok.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back