1995 Rock shox Judy SL - adjusting bolt lower left leg

bike_nutNbolt

Retro Newbie
I have what I was told is a 1995 model Rock Shox Judy SL. The bottom of the lower leg has what is in the photo. A metal bolt or rod protruding out, with an adjusting thumb screw.

Is this original to the fork? Or has the fork been modified (hopefully enhanced) in some way?

85d92476-3986-450c-9974-02ff8f8eabd3_zps8010e828.jpg

It is certainly a modification, but perhaps a useful one. Usually this fork has a ti bole with a hole in so that you can fit an Allen key through it and adjust the damping rate. Looks like your forks have a modification that allows it to be adjusted by the knurled adjuster at the bottom, rather than an allen key. Quite nifty, and how modern forks are now, albeit perhaps a little smaller.

Do you have any closer pics, might consider something myself as I have some spare bits and quite like that.

more photos. The adjusters at the top of each leg appears to be same/similar to many Rock Shox of the era (Judy XC or SL). The bolts looks to be Ti. Any guesses on how I can tell?

DSCN4742_zps92f7dee2.jpg

This is what the whole fork looks like
DSCN4741_zps70edcc4e.jpg

Detail of the crown from the front
DSCN4744_zps4291bccd.jpg

I don't know what the internals are for this fork. But for a 1995 model fork, it seems to still be functioning quite well and requires quite a good amount of pressure to compress down.

Undo the bolts (they are Ti as they used a different shape steel bolt).
Take the top caps out and '95 had a skewer attached to it, '96 didn't.

That looks like an aftermarket/home made mod. They did make an external adjuster but it was red ALU. At least they ones I've seen.

That crown looks quite raised, similar to how later SIDs had it, always though the early JUDY where flatter. Do you know if it's original?

The crown looks original, but I don't think the crown bolts are, certainly every set I've had, had different bolts. Ti of course, but they were straight up and down, not angled like the ones in the pics.

Rick Draper":1pnh914v said:
The bolts in the crown are the same as the ones in every pair of SL's I have had.
Strange, never had that style bolt in any judy SL I've had, but hey, does it really matter? Could be a year/batch thing?

Back