recommendations/advice please budget rigids

chris667":1u1tounk said:
I always think reading this forum gives you an overinflated view of what these things are worth.

Giant made lots of good bikes, but collectors aren't really that interested in them. The same goes for MTBS from Peugeot, Raleigh, Ridgeback and Muddy Fox.

Plus, there's lots of collectables that are available at car boots.

Just don't look too hard, and the right thing will come into your lap.

Agreed - there's plenty good stuff out there at £50 and below. Not high end obviously and may need some fettling, but hey - a bike's a bike :p

I don't mind fettling I like it ;)

not that keen on the diamondback for some reason. but yeah there's always a few bikes at car boots just normally modern apollos :LOL: but oldies do come up now and then. Im in no rush though so hopefully something will pop up when Im least expecting it. (thats what happened with my Marin)

But will see what sort of thing comes up within the next couple months, now I know the saracens aren't bad bikes Im sure I could find another one of those but will be interesting to see what sort of thing is out there.

Don't forget your local recycling centre (AKA Council dump) can sometimes turn up some gems. Many are also associated with bike repair/refurbishment charities :cool:

KHS, saracen, muddy fox, raleigh, univega, there are many brands that go under the radar, trek and giant made some nice bikes too. Wont win you retrobike of the year, but will ride well and give you plenty of fun for a small price.

I recently bought two 1988 Specialized Rockhoppers in Yellow for £40 each. Both from the same guy. I have another in my signature if you want to have a look.

My new 'Touring Bike' is the £40 17" Rockhopper.

£40...for a bike made in 1988....that works 100% as an off road MTB, tourer and general runabout. Can't beat that in my book.

Mr Panda":2hn0za09 said:
Don't forget your local recycling centre (AKA Council dump) can sometimes turn up some gems. Many are also associated with bike repair/refurbishment charities :cool:

our dumps dont let you take anything :( but i do work somewhere that refurbishes bikes we get from the dump (seriously you would be shocked at some of the bikes we get in recently had 2 peugeot roadbikes, mint and nothing wrong with them.

but having a look on ebay all the time. nice to see what comes up local. are the peugeot mountain bikes any good? we've got a couple of them in and see them quite a bit

I used one exactly like this as a workplace bike in northeast London years ago for transporting me between offices and various work locations along canal paths etc so I didn't need to use car, having driven in from Kent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Puma- ... 35c849c8aa

Nothing fancy, but earned kudos by being made in Canada :cool: ......and being lurid green :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Used it until the BB gave out then sold it on. Enjoyed my time with it despite being a basic gaspipe frameset.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Picked my Ascent up off eBay on a BIN for £35. Exchanged the shifters for nowt, and fitted a different stem/bars/tyres/grips I had anyway. Utter bargain...

file.php

It's big and has a stuck post, but it's £45...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back