Raleigh RSP Titanium 1997 ... nearly finished

helix_torques

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So this is my first build thread.

I've been riding MTBs for 20+ years but until recently have never looked backwards.

Until I saw this on Ebay ...

RSP_actual.jpg

In all honesty I didn't initially buy it as a retro project ... I just wanted a project ... I tend to get a bit twitchy if I haven't got a bike build on the go ... so, I was originally thinking of cheap ti hard tail with modern components.

However, when it landed and I started investigating exactly what it was ... (still not 100% sure; frame serial (H) stamp - 97-98, RSP head badge - 99+ onwards, originally painted - so not torus) I really started to get into the idea of restoring it back to its former glory or at least into a pretty good period ti RSP.

Not everyones cup of tea ... but I was really taken by this RSP ... I don't want to replicate it but will certainly use it as inspiration.

brsp0006.jpg

So that was back in March ... since then I've been hand brushing the frame and collecting my components ... a process I've found frustratingly, enjoyably slow ... if that makes sense?

I decided to hand brush the frame because although, the tubes were in really good nick the ti finish was slightly pitted ... I'm wondering if this was because the frame was originally painted and it helped with spray adhesion? The frame also had paint remnants around the brake boses and cable guides that I wasn't happy about. Anyway, it took hours (30+ over 10 weeks) to get it to a finish that I'm happy with starting with a course (maroon) scotchbrite and working up to the fine (grey).

I also had to source a new RSP head badge, the original that had come with the frame had had its paint stripped by the previous owner and I wanted to have one on the frame that had the black in fills within the typography and heron logo.

So tonight I finished the frame (decals still to come) and started to add some components ... photos below ...

DSCF2791.jpg

DSCF2794.jpg

DSCF2801.jpg

DSCF2811.jpg

I'll update the post again soon ... ;-)

Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium 1997

Very nice indeed.

There is a growing realisation of just how good the 90's Raleigh frames are. For my part, I am slightly ashamed I didn't realise that at the time, and bought American instead. :oops:

Watching this build with interest.

That's a very tasteful build you've got going on, but then I might be a little bit biased. Definitely one of the more under appreciated frames out there and hence a bit of a bargain for those in the know :cool: .

And if you fancy selling the other RSP badge I'd gladly take it off you ;)

Thanks for the feedback so far ... Fudd, I actually tried to re-fill the other badge and made a bit of a hash of it ... If you want (I dont think its saveable) pm me, you are more than welcome to it.

I got a quick update ... cranks XT 739, XT shark fin and Suntour XC pedals added. I'm not a 100% certain about the cranks yet, I really like the 739s but I'm not convinced by the all metal look ... it might grow on me though? Originally the plan was xtr m952 cranks but I've struggled to find a set in great condition for a price I'm prepared to pay ... Think I'm going to finish it as an xt build and review.

DSCF3175.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a M739 front mech (34.9, top pull) and shifter pod if anyone can help?

Few more bits added ... I'm tantalisingly close now ... just need to find the front mech, brakes and shifters. Hopefully the next post will see it finished ;-)

DSCF3238.jpg

DSCF3235.jpg

Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium 1997 ... update no.3

Looks real quality, there are a couple of those x-lite stems on ebay at the moment if you fancied a catalogue look (although the black on looks great and they are red and blue)

Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium 1997 ... update no.3

Thanks the_duke ... I'd been looking for one of those xlite stems for ages ... but, I think the kooka stem works well with the rest of the build now ... and like you say I'm not blue or red would work

Back