is this a real Ciocc?

mad dog

Retro Newbie
Hello! this is my 1st post here on Retro Bike, I'm a bike enthusiast from Belgium (this explain my english), I'm not an athlete, just a daily bike user with a crush on old road bikes. I've been reading the forum for months finding great information ressource on different topics!

I've just won a bike sold as a Ciocc Mockba '80 on ebay an I seriously doubt it's a real one; there's no Ciocc / clover engragving on top of the seat stays / on top of the fork / on the bottom bracket (which is a cinelli), the only part that scream Ciocc is the yellow clover on the lug between the down tube & head tube. Could this be a lower quality Ciocc frame from the end of their business when the company went bigger? is it a fake? Any help identifying this frame would be really appreciated!

okub90.jpg

2n8ouw5.jpg

2ro3ojq.jpg

ioivqc.jpg

vfii3t.jpg

dc8wlh.jpg

kxh5w.jpg

vh9cia.jpg

It has all the hallmarks of a genuine CIOCC. The small bridge behind the bottom bracket shell is typical CIOCC, it also has the lozenge cut out at the top of the BB shell at the back of the seat post and the rear brake bridge looks right. Cinelli shells are also typical although the one's I've seen have the 4 spades cut out. Not 100% about the forks, they may have been changed. If its later than 1980 it will have been produced after Giovanni Pelizzoli sold the company which could explain the lack of pantographing and the shell cut out. He is very helpful if you email your frame number and would confirm if its one of his frames. In 1980/81 some frames were also produced for other sellers like my Tom Crowther CIOCC in the link below. It will be Columbus tubing and should take a 27.2mm seat post.

I'd say definitely a CIOCC :)

And welcome aboard :)

Oh! great news, much thanks for all the explanations! I'm definitly gonna sen an email to Mr Pelizzoli! I can't wait to restore it, I'll post pics when it's done :)
btw your Tom Crowther looks awesome, chromed lugs are always lovely on these bikes!

Thank you for your comments, you can't beat a nice bit of chrome :) Look forward to seeing your progress although the frame looks in good condition.

Try this email: info@pelizzoliworld.com

Its usually his son who will reply :)

great! thanks everybody for the infos, I'm gonna send an email as soon as my frame arrived & so I'll see maybe I can ask Mr Pelizolli a new fork! :)

Back