Uniglide to Hyperglide

yourebarred

Dirt Disciple
Okay so I took my 6 speed UG freewheel off to clean and saw some missing teeth.
According to Sheldon, you can replace the UG body with HG for more readily available parts.
Has anyone done this? His instructions aren't totally clear..
As a last resort does anyone have any ug 6speed freewheels for sale?

Assuming you mean the freehub body, then dismantle the hub, remove the axle and undo the body with a 10mm allen key down the axle hole. A 7 speed freehub body will be a straight swap.

Thanks for your help.
What do you mean by dismantle the hub? I have the freewheel off. Remove the axle?! Newby here..
Are 7 speed hg body easy to get hold of?

You have to unscrew the non-drive side bearing cone. Then the axle pulls out (collect the ball bearings that will roll away The Park Tools site has some good step by step guides.

IIRC all 6 speed is UG, so probably all you need to do is fit a replacement 6 speed cassette.

I may give that a try but HGg body isn't proving easy to find just now. The thinking behind the switch was that HG freewheels are easier to find.
I can only find one UG 6 speed freewheel but that seems like the easiest option to get me on the road again.

yourebarred":sbb07ggo said:
.I can only find one UG 6 speed freewheel but that seems like the easiest option to get me on the road again.
hold fire fella, and sorry to be pedantic, but freewheel is not the same as cassette. you either have a threaded hub for a freewheel or a hub with integrated freehub (which yours sounds like).

Latest posts

Back