A retrobike epiphany

highlandsflyer":3d15pyo9 said:
Neil":3d15pyo9 said:
I'm probably a product of the time I grew up, but elite kit, and elite bikes, were for cyclists that could perform at that level.

Doesn't work that way.

It does for me.

Maybe I'm a product of the time and / or circumstances I grew up - maybe it's the concept of being impressioned / conditioned about feeling foolish if the kit I have overshoots my talent and / or ability - in which case, probably rather uncool to think that way.

All the same, it is what it is.

Great guitars sound great, regardless of your ability.

Indeed they might, but I suspect peoples' drive to own them, isn't purely about the sound. I'm not sure I can directly relate, anyways - my own experience of music is playing the piano. If I was rich, had some huge rooms in my house, would I aspire to some elite concert grand? I doubt it. I probably would buy a very decent, albeit not opulent or elite, piano that would look appropriate for the room I'd put it in.

Great bikes ride well, regardless of your ability.

And decent bikes ride decently too - I doubt anybody became a great rider just because they got a fancy, schmancy bike. All I'm saying is I'd get more benefit from using them more, I doubt I'm going to be inspired by a particular high-end bike, I never have, nor have the people I grew up with or cycled with.

Yes, we all aspired to decent bikes, true enough - but I never had some poster on a wall of some elite bike I always lusted after - because I never lusted after any particular bike.

I do see parallels in other hobbies - skates, for example - on ice, I'm sure a high end pair of hockey skates would be very nice and all, but I doubt on the rare occasions that I get to go, my very decent hockey skates are really going to be eclipsed. Same with my inlines, some of them are very decent, but I suppose the kind that most suit me, now, would be slalom / freeskates - again, something which you can spend lots of money on - but I'm not inclined to, simply because it wouldn't make sense to me.

I also have a thing for certain watches - some would aspire to some designer or high-end brands, but truth be told, most leave me cold. Maybe a Grand Seiko would be nice, if I had that sort of money to spend on one, but all the same, there's some aspect of aesthetics and subjective value to what people like where watches and jewelry are concerned.

The only important question is whether you should be spending your money on them.

If you are not neglecting other needs then hell yeah!

Thing is, I'm not trying to suggest what other people should spend their money on, or aspire to. Merely explaining my own perspective (as is everybody, really, in this thread) and why this "epiphany" that I've read made comment of a few times, does nothing for me. Yes, I get there's some divergence, here - some people are continually collecting, building, breaking selling, over and over; some rationalise, or are very selective. That doesn't mean there's no middle ground - I have 5 bikes, clearly more than I actually need, but not excessive, and perhaps not totally beyond sense for me. I've no desire to expand that collection, or keep the whole process going, or aim for something more selective. I like what I've got, and as a generalism, I'm not looking to either expand or shrink what I've got.

The whole rationalise and be selective argument, seems to be based on the notion that everybody is continually growing their fleet, with a group of no-mark bikes, and that it's a pointless idiom, if only they'd see sense, become aspirational, get rid of loads, and buy a select bike that will make all the demons go away, and make cycling a truly great experience. Well maybe for some that's true - but like a lot of propositions, it occludes the middle ground.

Sure, if the whole hamster wheel of acquiring, building, breaking, selling, rinse and repeat is becoming fruitless and unfulfilling, that's one thing - especially if some do have aspirations for certain bikes. I don't see the universality of it, that's all - not that the OP necessarily asserts there is, but often when I hear the notion trotted out it's at least implied.

The History Man":1yjy6gi6 said:
What about if your not into originality just having two or three that work really well for different jobs? Bit like guitars. (Mex bodies with custom shop pickups for example)

I think that's summed up my position from my verbose waffle on the subject.

I don't want something rare or exquisite. I appreciate longevity and decent things, a small number to give some variety and redundancy will do me fine. Bling and the shiny, shiny mean nothing to me.

Likewise. I find it hard to get too enthused about a particular model or brand other than those i remember but not for specific bikes. It's more the feel of a well functioning bike i like at present. It does need to be tidy though.

But if i had a Chopper it would have to be as original as possible!

The History Man":2tl6fkap said:
Likewise. I find it hard to get too enthused about a particular model or brand other than those i remember but not for specific bikes. It's more the feel of a well functioning bike i like at present. It does need to be tidy though.

But if i had a Chopper it would have to be as original as possible!

Have to say, if I had a Chopper, now, I'd want everything to be original - 'cept I probably would prefer V brakes over calipers. But otherwise, the big saddle, the T-Bar gear changer.

I'll have all bases covered ;)
Modern hard tail for everyday use.
Rigid steel 1x9 for winter use.
The bike I always wanted for use on sunny, dry retro rides :D

Latest posts

Back