Vitus 979 / Mavic SSC 1980's

Nicely done, great thread and enjoyed going through your journey with you :)

I'm doing a Mavic MTB build and can attest to how difficult it is to get a complete group set

Great job!

Rich

Rich":1470tmh2 said:
Nicely done, great thread and enjoyed going through your journey with you :)

I'm doing a Mavic MTB build and can attest to how difficult it is to get a complete group set

Great job!

Rich

Rich
The Groupset if fairly easy to obtain the most difficult parts to get are
Brake lever Hoods as most are missing of perished. (Modolo Speedy’s)
The Headset's are quite rare & can be expensive.
And the Bottom Bracket, most of the used ones I have, have buggered bearings
The bearings were I think especially made for Mavic & the original one are impossible to obtain.
There is some available that are very very close to the originals but need a conversion kit made up. I am seriously thinking about getting some kits made to use the newer bearings.
They are 2mm too thin so need a couple of spacers made & the axel will need a 1mm sleeve as the bearing center hole is 17mm hole & the axel is 16mm diameter. I’ve got a mate of mine that has an engineering workshop & he assures me that it will not be a problem to do.
SSC rims are available & turn up from time to time (mostly on s/hand wheels) so it’s just a case of cutting out the original hub & rebuilding with a Mavic one.

Hope that helps
Chris

Wow, good to know, I may be interested in the spacers if you were considering them...think you may have found a niche market there, will PM you :)

I'm Busy at the moment with a Colnago Master Low Pro & a TI-Raleigh 753 rebuilds. I'm just missing a few odd Campagnolo C-Record & Super Record Parts but I do have a 9 tube & 3 tube Vitus Carbon Frames to build up next (I have all the Mavic parts for them) so when I get round to these in a couple of months I will need to get the Mavic bottom Brackets repaired for myself & will let you know more then Rich.
I'm still looking for a pair of Vitus 979 forks for one of the carbon frames minimum 175mm steerer length if you know of any.

I need a little bit of help and advice. Did Sean Kelly ride Reydel GTI Saddles during his KAS years? I know he rode them in the 1984 season with SEM/SKIL. Have a look at the image attached, is it a black Reydel GTI?......and would a white one with the GTI decal in red look wrong?

Attachments

• seankelly_poster.jpg
    seankelly_poster.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,300
well I've got the white Reydel saddle, didnt cost much (£14) and Im attempting to restore with white wax restorer. The image is of a black Reydel GTI saddle, he also rode the Reydel Pro version, always in black but the Pro is almost unobainable. I dont suppose anyone has a black Reydel saddle that they want to sell? I'll put the white one on when finished and see how it looks, but if I can get someone to make some white GTI transfers , I'll strip it and colour it black. I'll keep chipping away at this until its as close to the real machine.

I've wanted this build to be as authentic as possible and thanks to Maggie at the Furniture clinic, she has restored my white reydel saddle with red lettering that was worse for wear, to black with white lettering. Im really happy with the results. These saddles really were only made famous by Sean Kelly and not many people rode them so NOS and used specimens are very rare. She's done similar great work on the Dave Rayner bike on this forum with a yellow Turbo. Many many thanks to Kettlo who produced the artwork from my pictures I sent him, you are a star Stephen! She was going to airbush the lettering on from stencils but it was too difficult so she got vinyl transfers made and applied and protected. Before and after pictures below and updated to show it fitted to the bike. I do ride this bike when it's dry and Maggies reckons its good to use. I've got into the habit of riding it to work and back in the Peak District on Fridays when its dry, 42 x 24 has tested my legs a bit!

Attachments

• Reydel saddle.jpg
    Reydel saddle.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,207
  • White reydel under.jpg
    White reydel under.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Reydel Nose.jpg
    Reydel Nose.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Reydel Underneath.jpg
    Reydel Underneath.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Reydel black.jpg
    Reydel black.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Reydel Black side.jpg
    Reydel Black side.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,208
  • KAS Reydel Side.jpg
    KAS Reydel Side.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,178
  • KAS with Reydel Saddle Rear.jpg
    KAS with Reydel Saddle Rear.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,178
Fantastic work, that is some tribute to Kelly, love the saddle, there is great satisfaction in getting the little details just right. :cool:

Regards,

Pat

Back