peugeot alpina reborn page 2.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
just taken delivery of this bike.
this was the bike that turned me to mtb.
i know in its day it was a very low end bike,
but when i first saw this back in the day, it set my pulse racing.
while trawling ebay last week i came across this bike, put my maxiumum bid of £20 and ended up winning it.
my plan is to keep the paint original, get rid of everything else off it and put some half decent kit on it.
the paint is really good, i will have a nice set of bull moose bars to put on it.
i have to say i'm quite chuffed getting this bike.

Attachments

• IMG_5477.JPG
    IMG_5477.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 3,094
Re: peugeot alpina.

Remember that these were popular round our way too, the frame was a step up from the Raleigh Mustangs gaspipe with huge stamped dropouts, it just looked more tied together. While it was nice in that way and progressive with an alloy swanneck stem and flat bars it lagged a bit behind the trend with the biplane forks where others had gone Unicrown. I think it also had the advantage of Alloy rims but it skimped with a set of nasty unsealed steel hubs. Not a bad entry level bike though and brings back fond memories. I'd keep the alloy stem and flat bars personally, I never really liked the bullmoose setup.

Carl.

Back in 1988 my brother had one of these. I had the Peugeot 'Ranger Vogue', which was white and with a more or less identical spec.

I fondly remember the vagaries of Sachs Huret 5 speed friction shifters and the high performance benefits of steel rims in wet weather.

Nice to see it's in the only size I think these ever came in; that is, "he'll grow into it" large.

had a day off today, so made the most of it and rebuilt the peugeot.
i took the technium to bits to build it, as i only have 1 usable bike now.
riding it took me right back to my childhood. happy days. :D

Attachments

• IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,914
  • IMG_5504.JPG
    IMG_5504.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 2,915
  • IMG_5503.JPG
    IMG_5503.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,916

That's actually turned out a really cool build of retro/retro-er/yet more retro-er!

I had a Peugeot Trail! And actually bought a Scorpion 531 recently....

This bike is a blast, iv'e ridden it mainly for work and it just makes me smile :D :D :D
It just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the buzz of cycling.
Thanks for all the positive comments.
And if it floats your boat vote for it this month.
I can only imagine if this won.
Now i'm off to get some miles in on this fantastic machine.

I really like that and no have to agree that some of the best riding, most enjoyable MTBs are the relatively mundane ones.

Thanks for the comment chopper,
As i said in my original post, this was my very 1st mtb,
and although the spec for it is not original, it is built in the true spirit of retrobike,
And everything works brilliantly, and i would say this bike is the very essence of what retrobike is all about, and that is living a dream of owning and riding bikes which we hold in high esteem,
Out of all the bikes i've built over the years, this one has the most significance.
This ones a keeper.

And thanks for all comments.
Its nice to know bikes like this are still appreciated.
Just done 10 miles on it.

Back