For the ethical cyclists amongst us...

KatieMacK":2a2msd08 said:
Chopper1192":2a2msd08 said:
The biggest environmental impact from most portable consumer items comes from transporting them, not their manufacture, so most of this eco hugging type claim is crap, unless they're delivering it on horseback.

So, you're implying that it's all a waste of time because of that? I guess treating workers fairly and paying them a fair wage is "eco hugging" crap too? Not supporting child labour and having a repeat performance of what happened in Bangladesh last month is of absolutely no concern. I guess being so well informed means at least you can live with the clear conscience that you are purchasing goods that have never been through this transporting process. I'm presuming, of course, that you buy all your goods from independent retailers that produce and sell their goods within a bikeable radius? Or horseback, if that's your preferred method of transport? Good for you.

I never implied it was a waste of time.

I implied their claims of environmental friendliness were largely hokum, intended only to encourage the gullible to open their wallets and thus maximise the company's share value.

Naturally, I buy my goods from shops, the internet etc, but a) I'm not dense enough to ignore the supply chain when examining such claims, and b) I don't really give a Tommy tit where it comes from, just so long a I get it.

KatieMacK":2nhcxgn6 said:
To the two posts above, fair points made. I was simply passing on some information that a friend had passed on to me! I didn't realise it would get such a reaction! As you will all note, I didn't actually communicate ANY opinions on the products the company makes! I just think it's good that they are trying to make a difference, albeit a fairly small one.

Katie - no criticism of you at all! But for a company to pitch itself as uniquely ethical when it is selling a questionable product at huge mark ups, when there are already truly ethical companies offering gear that works seriously well, is a bit cheeky!

Take a look at Paramo, Finnisterre, Patagonia, etc. I think that for fair trade to work there has to be pushback against the cases where it is being used for marketing advantage without a proprotionate benefit to the people who really deserve help. And a 25 pound cotton t-shirt is waaaaay past that point!

Do the maths: I buy extra thick cotton T's for bout 3 pounds a go online. Add a 50% markup for a reasonable cost buffer for organic production, then 50% for fairtrade - which is far more than I ever heard of supposed beneficiaries getting - and you are still at about 7 pounds. Where do the other 18 (of 25) pounds go??? It looks like a hell of a racket to me!

Car drivers please raise their hands

Shut it ;) Eco what ??? Hypocritical come to mind . :LOL: Put that foot down, youre on the motorway now.

KatieMacK":3m2zgfls said:
So, you're implying that it's all a waste of time because of that? I guess treating workers fairly and paying them a fair wage is "eco hugging" crap too?
He might not have been but I am.

It's better that workers in Bangladesh are working and therefore being paid than not. Those 'unfair' wages support families that if would suffer if businesses were forced to increase their costs before they are ready.

Plus as has been noted a £25 'eco' tshirt probably travels by van, ship, truck and at least one more van before it is delivered to the customer. Eco my arse.

I have ethics, but they don't extend to paying over the odds for average products with dubious provenance, all to make me feel worthy for five minutes. Muji do tshirts at 2 for £10 or something. Plain, good quality, cheap and they don't stand me out as an right-on Glastonbury wanker. I couldn't give a toss if they are made by blind 3 years olds in deepest India. Isn't the global marketplace great.

Absolutely techno. I made no comment about workers in 3rd world countries, and voiced no view, either express or implied. T'would seem Katie can read people's minds and 'know' what someone is saying when they have neither voiced or even given though to such a viewpoint.

Back