Mmm I know its not advisable but

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
For the last, many years, my Hubby has been riding canti brakes with v brake levers on a 92 frame that were slightly loose on braking, the levers had to do more work to get the caniti's to work, but then they were wearing out a bit by the end :oops: Today he got his bike back for road use, yeah no more car for him it's for me occasionally, it has very modern LX brake levers/ gear combo for V brakes, yet canti brakes :shock: The braking is smooth and faultless and the pull is better than I've had on proper canti lever/brake combo. The brake levers are superb and the braking is also, so why given all the reasons why it shouldn't work, It does so well?

Please mods put this where appropriate as it mixes with retro and modern I'm not sure :D

Alison

Dont quote me on this (waits for a expert to come along) but I "think" theres a problem when you use canti levers to activate 'V's rather than 'V' levers to activate canti's, or is it the other way round :?

Old and forgetfull of Fife

RobMac":xd6xkayn said:
Dont quote me on this (waits for a expert to come along) but I "think" theres a problem when you use canti levers to activate 'V's rather than 'V' levers to activate canti's, or is it the other way round :?

You need to pull the cable further for V's than you do canti's - so using canti brake levers to activate V's can be a bit sketchy as the levers don't always move far enough. That said, it does work (I run this set up myself), it's just not as effective as it could be.

RobMac":37gnt7uh said:

It depends - the Breezer Storm (as used at Ardgay - Ullapool) now owned by yer mate Keith had canti levers with V brake calipers during my custodianship. The brakes worked bloomin well actually so I never bothered changing them. Think K was gonna put canti levers on too (black LX ones ;) )

Back