Alpinestars Al-Mega with '89 Shimano: Need to sell quick

edddddie

Retro Newbie
I'm trying to fund a cycle trip and since all my money is invested in two-wheels, sadly I have to sell this little guy.

1992 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX MTB frame TT c-c 56cm
with
1989 Specialized Rockhopper SHIMANO groupset

The shimano set on this is quite rare as far as I know, this was one of the first real mountain bike component sets that shimano manufactured used by Specialized on it's Rickhopper. The brake levers are big and chunky and motorcycle-like which is what they used at the time as an adaptation for mountain bikes. 7 speed rear cassette.
MAXXIS Swampthing chunky tires. Lots of rolling surface to glide over those twigs and branches in the forest, and if let some air out it will soldier through a muddy ditch and snow.
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Pink Jagwire MTB cables
Black Forks (although they look suspension are actually rigid).
Centre Pull Brakes
KMC tough chain

The bike has lots of pink details that make it a real character.

v97y.jpg

u2g9.jpg

j39q.jpg

z4vm.jpg

oue9.jpg

Selling it with flat shimano pedals (groupset correct ones below).

t582.jpg

Would like to sell today or tomorrow hence the very low price. The pink jag cables cost 40 quid alone.
£150 o.n.o.
SOLD
Based in Epsom, but can meet at Waterloo whatever works best for you. PM me and all that jazz
Or will post if needed, just tell me where.

Frame is earlier than 1992, I think it's a 1990 as they changed to a gusseted (small gusset on the head to downtube) version for 1991 to stop the cracking as was mentioned by barney and by 1992 the Neon colours were replaced with Red or Purple. The groupset is much, much earlier and more like about 1985/6 as by 1989 Shimano were already selling DeoreII and XTII with MountainLX below them.
These frame are popular and usually sell well if uncracked, but I think that if you advertise the correct year for the groupset it won't hang around long at that price.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back