Helmets Save Your Bonce

Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11110665

Dr Walker conducted a study looking into how cyclists wearing a helmet affect the behaviour of drivers. He found that for those wearing a helmet, motorists drove much closer when overtaking.

"In absolute terms they got 8-9cm closer than they did when I wasn't wearing one," he explains, "And the proportion of vehicles getting within a really close distance went up considerably."

I spent my lunchtime reading through research papers on the effectiveness of current bicycle helmet designs in preventing brain injury. I still need to read and learn more but from what I have seen so far I am getting the distinct impression that current bicycle helmet designs are inadequate. This is because the designs do not address the issue of high velocity rotation of the head, that is the most common cause of brain damage.
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1182.html

It appears that our belief in the effectiveness of cycle helmets to prevent brain injury may be somewhat misplaced. What is particularly disturbing is that it has been known that violent rotation of the head causes the worst injuries for decades. It has also been known that impacts that do not rotate the head are far less common. And that an unprotected human head is quite good at protecting the brain when the impacts are perpendicular to the centre of mass of the head.

So why design helmets that enforce what the head is already good whilst ignoring the well understood inherent weakness?

It could be that the key issue here is not should we be wearing helmets. But are they well enough designed to protect us properly.

The History Man":dtkmtzub said:
What about skiers and snowboarders elsewhere?

Some areas in Europe have compulsory helmet wearing for kids and some winter sports insurance also specify helmet wearing.

I like 'em cos , between helmet, goggles and buff, I keep a whole lot warmer. :xmas-wink:
Snow sport helmets have more in common with motorcycle helmets than bicycle helmets - they cover the entire head/ears with plenty of padding and mostly with nothing sticking out (so when you hit the ground at speed your head is less likely to be dragged round injuring your neck).

It's interesting to read this entire thread - it echoes exactly the same debate I've seen so often in the motorcycling world.

I've had falls from motorcycles, mountain bikes, snowboards and horses. I would not personally go out without a helmet. But I like that to be my choice and not something I'm compelled to do.
All to their own and we should all respect it.
Group hug. ;)

I lived in NZ for a bit - bike helmet wearing is the law there - sometimes i wore one and other times i didn't and got a lot of grief from kiwis "telling me off" - seems a bit OTT to me considering that they don't even have compulsory car insurance there!!!
Anyway, there were a lot of cyclists killed over there due to accidents involving lorries/cars etc - all those killed were wearing helmets. Whether they died due to head injuries or being literally crushed by a lorries wheels i'm not sure but either way wearing a helmet provided no protection against the fatal injuries they sustained.
There was also another guy hit by a driver who "didn't see him" who sustained a traumatic brain injury and required long term neuro rehab - he was wearing a helmet too. Did this save his life? maybe / maybe not - each case is individual and personally i think it should be up to the individual to decide whether they wear a helmet or not.
Preaching to others about what they should / shouldn't do just pisses people off - same with religion/politics etc etc

This has been my Pov throughout despite how things get a little emotive when others feel more strongly.

Bicycles should be MOT'd though!

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

I had a good read through that site a while back and came to the conclusion that the protective case that millions of years of evolution developed to keep my brain in, is probably as good or better on it's own than it is with an inch of polystyrene strapped predominantly to the top of it. :D

Bicycles should be MOT'd though!

I wonder how many BSOs would pass it when brand new? I'm very picky about my bikes and like to keep them in tip-top running order, I can't bear noisy, squeaky, rattly bikes or lousy brakes. On occasions when friends have asked my to fix something on their bike, I've often been shocked at how shoddily set-up they are and sometimes how completely ineffectual their brakes are. :shock:

GrahamJohnWallace":2ukhdzod said:
I spent my lunchtime reading through research papers on the effectiveness of current bicycle helmet designs in preventing brain injury. I still need to read and learn more but from what I have seen so far I am getting the distinct impression that current bicycle helmet designs are inadequate. This is because the designs do not address the issue of high velocity rotation of the head, that is the most common cause of brain damage.
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1182.html

Actually its worse than that. The g-limit is too high; the overall ability to aborb energy is too low; there's no test whether a helmet will survive an impact on a rough surface; and there's no testing of random helmets taken from stores to ensure that the one makers provide for testing aren't ringers.

Otoh, the only solution I trust re. rotation adds about 100eu to the cost of a helmet. Etc. Given weight, bulk and cost limitations, coming up with a helmet that actually works in life threatening crashes is probably impossible.

Back