DVLA morons?

Elysarian

Retro Guru
Last year I queried them on my missing categories of C1 and C1+E (large vans up to 7.5t) - was told I'd have to speak to the medical department as they'd removed said categories back in 1997 after I had an unexplained blackout.

So, after misplacing my driving licence recently I had to contact the DVLA for a replacement (bear in mind at this point that I passed my car test in 1994...

I got the replacement at the weekend; I'm still missing the C1 & C1E but I've mysteriously gained a new one...

Apparently I can, with no prior experience of anything aside from a year on a Yamaha passola (49cc rev'n'go) back in '89, ride any motorcycle!

:facepalm:

I've heard of people losing motorbike categories before... never heard of anyone gaining them :?

I checked the notes, the only code alongside the category A is "01" (I wear specs) - I was expecting to see "125" in there (for tricycles) but it's not there.

I'll have to check again when I get home as I know the categories did change recently.

I don't think that the DVLA are morons, as you put it.

I just think that they have the sole responsibility of dealing with all licensing/tax queries and records for the whole of the UK population, and that occasionally mistakes happen ;)

Are we there yet?

You had a look see at your provisional entitlements and read up on how they are now displayed differently on newly issued licenses?

:)

My licence is in Lincolnshire at the moment - I'm in Wigan...

I looked it up:

Entitlements and Category Validity periods

The back of your driving licence card will list all the vehicle categories you can and cannot drive. All categories the holder can drive will display ‘valid from’ and ‘valid to’ dates in columns 10 and 11. Any categories the holder cannot drive will be crossed through.
from http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/the-new-driv ... -explained

My Category A entitlement start date is 04.06.13, it expires with my others. It isn't crossed through and the only limitation is, as I said in an earlier post, "01" which means I have to wear my glasses :)

I don't intend actually getting a motorbike - my wife kinda likes me alive and would probably kick me in the unmentionables if I got one anyway (as a minimum)...

I'll have a look at my counterpart next weekend when I go home again.

That's the DVLNI site, not quite the same thing- although it does look as if they are harmonising with Swansea.

I once spent ages trying (unsuccessfully) to find a fairly basic piece of information on the DVLA site so I reported them to the the Crystal Mark people. I notice they no longer have the Crystal Mark on their site :D

Back