Martin Wood - Time Trial Bike

Still getting parts together before the build up starts, but after a bit of information.

Most references state that Alf used a Saba saddle on his bikes. Now as I understand it Saba were just an importer of, mainly, quality Italian kit. Therefore was Alf's saddle just a rebadged Italian saddle of some description or did Saba actually produce a saddle of their own?

Steve.

IRB imported SABA stuff. The only items that I remember that were branded SABA were their frames and their Clothing.

Ian Hallam Rode for "KP Crisps - SABA" but aside from the frame, the other bits on his bike were from Modolo, Gipiemme, OMAS. Don't remember a saddle having a SABA logo.

If anything it would have been a saddle made by somebody and branded SABA.

Long time ago for my memory though.....

Shaun

**Update**

Finally got together all the bits I need, so the build-up has begun. Full details of all the kit to come in a few days once it's complete, but for now here's a few progress pics....

Attachments

• Emperor14a.jpg
    Emperor14a.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Emperor20.jpg
    Emperor20.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 432
  • Emperor16a.jpg
    Emperor16a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 432
Moderators, please feel free to move this thread to "Reader's Road Bikes" as it's probably more appropriate in there now.

Thanks,

Steve.

It's got a real 70's feel..........drilled and slotted, world championship stripes on the hub, Nice :D

Seatpost is a bit low though :)

Shaun

Thanks for pointing out the seatpost Shaun! :D

The wheels are 28 hole Campagnolo Record laced (Front radially) to Super Champion Medaille D'Or rims. I bought them at the Theydon Bois Cycle Jumble back in May from an old Time Trialler who claimed he used them back in the '70s in Time Trials when competing againgst Alf Engers himself! Could have just been spinning me a yarn I suppose, but at least he didn't claim to have beaten Alf!

Steve.

Yep.........28 hole Medale D'or were the weapon of choice for TT's, not sure if they came in 24's LOL

I ran 36 Medale D'or on Campag and even then I worried about uneven ground LOL I had a pair of arc en Ciel's for road use and was a lot more confident.

When the Medale D'or rims were unbuilt they seemed to have no intrinsic strengh at all but very light I guess it was the spokes holding them together.........

compare that with modern rims where a lot of the strengh is in the rim. My Krium's on the Basso have about 20 spokes I think but weigh quite a bit.

I've been looking for some Medale D'or for my 70's ALAN :)

Shaun

Shaun,

They did come in 24s, as, funnily enough, I just picked up these 24 Hole Campagnolo LF Record Hubs laced to Medialle D'Or's....

Attachments

• Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 381
  • Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 381
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 381
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg