Newb here..

Carol

Retro Newbie
hey everybody,

thought I'd introduced myself before stumbling around the forum. So I'm not really a rider myself (yet), but my brother just got himself a new MTB and left me his old one which apparently is a Giant MTB from the late 90s. I'm not sure what to do with it other than ride, which I might do. Although it seems like the it'll need some fixing, and I'm not to well versed when it comes to that, but bottom line, I signedup on this forum for some inspiration what to do with the bike. Hope I will find help here :)
see you guys around

I assume by your name your another female to the fold, of course that is just an assumption as you can see by my name,, there are not many of us, but we are most definitely here :D This is a wonderful and friendly site and there is always good advise to be had, all to help you into bankruptcy as you start to suffer with the retrobike bug :D

Welcome

Alison

Hi! 90's bikes are usually robust and easier to fix than modern ones, and parts are almost always cheap.

The Park Tools website shows you how to do a lot of repairs step by step (just be wary of their trying to sell you too much stuff, obviously!)

http://www.parktool.com/

And Sheldon Brown's website is also very useful.

http://sheldonbrown.com/

The most important thing before doing any work is to make sure that the bike is a good fit for you. You probably already have done this, but just in case: obviously you can adjust the saddle height, but you can also fit shorter or longer or higher or lower stems to move the handlebars. There will be a fitting page on Brown's website, so you might start by taking a look at that. It's worth putting a little effort into reading a guide and tweaking even if you are sure the bike is the right size, because getting *just* right can make a big difference to longterm comfort.

thanks for the tips and replies! And so fast :)
Yes, I admit it I'm female but personally I can imagine that this is quite the advantage when riding a bike :D
I hope I can avoid banktrupcy since I already feel like I'm on the brink of it...
Anyways, the bike seems to fit in terms of height and everything but as I mentioned, it will need some repairs, so thanks for the links!

Carol":3h7srhd6 said:
I hope I can avoid banktrupcy since I already feel like I'm on the brink of it...

Not a good start for this place :LOL: theres just too many really nice things in the for sale sections.
I only joined looking for a cheapo wreck of a bike i could do up and ride to the shops etc.
A few thousand pounds and at least 5 project builds down the line :shock:

The 'bike for the shops' Is Titanium :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Please tell me your second name is Vorderman :shock:

Just kidding :LOL:
A very warm welcome and I hope you've got deep pockets.

RobMac":34ex6hu4 said:
Please tell me your second name is Vorderman :shock:

Just kidding :LOL:
A very warm welcome and I hope you've got deep pockets.
Stop it now, you will get chopper all excited. No, not that chopper, I mean the member chopp... oh never mind!

Back