Help wanted by removal Maillard freewheel/hub

DayWalker

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have to remove 3 different Maillard freewheels and pions.
Does anyone know which tools i need?
I want to buy them so that i can use them also in the future.
I prefer a onlineshop or Ebay in Europe.
Or if anyone has a used tool for sale, no problem, let me know.

Situation 1:
e7fd.jpg

Situation 2:
00d8.jpg

Situation 3:
61su.jpg

DayWalker":qkhv84iw said:
Midlife":qkhv84iw said:
Is the top one actually attached to a rim......... ?

Shaun
No,

Its only the hub and pion, it's not attached anymore in a wheel.

Then I'm afraid you won't be able to take that one off... I had a similar case... I have tried to clamp it to the bench vice, I have tried to bake it in the oven at 100 degrees and I even tried to freeze it in liquid nitrogen... I then ran out of ideas

If it's not attached to a rim it's a bit of a nightmare............what's a pion by the way?

Shaun

ugo.santalucia":2s1gwclq said:
Then I'm afraid you won't be able to take that one off... I had a similar case... I have tried to clamp it to the bench vice, I have tried to bake it in the oven at 100 degrees and I even tried to freeze it in liquid nitrogen... I then ran out of ideas
I just laced it into an old rim we had in the shop, only half the spokes, in one direction (to take the load), not trued, tensioned or anything. It was a bit wobbly but came off ok.

Customer got the pi55 taken out of him, thought he'd save us some time on his rebuild by cutting the old spokes/rim off, not realising you can't rethread the new spokes until the freewheel is off. :facepalm:

mattr":20d05kix said:
ugo.santalucia":20d05kix said:
I just laced it into an old rim we had in the shop, only half the spokes, in one direction (to take the load), not trued, tensioned or anything. It was a bit wobbly but came off ok.

Customer got the pi55 taken out of him, thought he'd save us some time on his rebuild by cutting the old spokes/rim off, not realising you can't rethread the new spokes until the freewheel is off. :facepalm:

I did think of doing that, but I assumed one side of the wheel was not enough for leverage... also, with large sprockets and a narrow flange (46 mm) on a Mavic 501 it was difficult even to route a spoke on the opposite side, given how tight the holes are...

Yeah, i can imagine it wouldn't work on all wheels! But as it was a rather expensive hub (and freewheel) it was worth the effort!

There is a better method, if you attach spokes to the other hub flange then you will usually just twist the hub.
I used to cut the heads off and put a double bend on a few spokes so that they can be inserted behind the freewheel.

Latest posts

Back