Powdercoating a pace?

Chopper1192":i1e1a2aq said:
I know a guy who recently had a motorbike frame nylon coated. I don't know much about the process, but it looks super wet glossy.

I did nylon-coating in metalwork at school; you heat whatever it is then dip it in a big box of powdered nylon that has air blowing through it; job done...:cool:

...Grammar School ed-ju-kay-shun innit, but I wanted to go to the Comprehensive cos they built a hovercraft! :mrgreen:

Secret Squirrel, I am sure there is someone on here who had their Pace powdercoated white, and it looked awesome! :shock: .

I'm in the same boat as you, the anodising on my frame has come off or is visibly faded in places on my frame (btw that's a pic of my bike you chose to use as an example!! lol), I've been looking at re-anodising without much success, it's true that anything non-aluminium will probably be dissolved in the process (ie the steel inserts fot the water bottle cage bolts!, so think rivnuts etc for replacements).

I can live with the condition of my frame for the moment, but I'd like to do something about it sooner rather than later.

grey powdercoat here... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1088847

file.php

It's aluminium, polish it, brush it etc, why add weight with a powdercoat? Just a thought.

secret_squirrel":38th3m7w said:
unkleGsif":38th3m7w said:
Powder coating is nowhere near 400C... we bake our welded aluminium frames (not of the bike variety admittedly, but structural none0the-less) at 190C for 20mintues, and are starting to experiment with powders at temps as low as 150C

G
G - you seem to know this stuff - what's you thoughts on the visibility of the butting through the powder coating? Good pic of it here on the down tube.

I'd hardly say that.... and I’ve never powdercoated a Pace so no direct experience in that regard. Was just correcting the temperature misnomer:LOL:

However, I do know that without specific instruction or existing skills / experience of bike frames, many of the more "industrial" types of powdercoaters will be of the "just slap it on nice and thick, coz thats what we always do" technique, which wont lend itslef to retaining all that butting detail.

So, I would say either:
- polish and/or anodize as mentioned, or
- go with one of the recommended co's in the paint/powdercoat thread, or
- go for paint only

G

Back