Withdrawn Stunning and rare 1950 Thanet Silverlight - rideable classic

Pedalitis

Old School Hero
Stunning and rare 1950 Thanet Silverlight - rideable classic

I am reducing my small classic bike collection and have decided to sell a stunning and rare Thanet Silverlight, serial number 1533, first sold to 'Miriam' in Liverpool on 12th October 1950.

The bike, as I originally bought it, is featured here:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... on-rb.html

I had the rear wheel re-built with a NOS, 1949 Sturmey Archer FW hub and a last year rode it from Barcelona back to the premises where it was built in Bristol, completing the 928 mile journey in under 9 days - this is a very rideable machine. The only problem I encountered was with a worn BB axle, which has since been replaced with a Bayliss Wiley NOS part. The story of the journey is here:

http://thanetsilverlight.blogspot.com.au/

The original Airlite single-speed fixed rear hub will be supplied with the bike to enable the new owner to return it to its original specification, if desired. I will take more photographs this weekend to show the bike with its period Sturmey Archer shifter on the handlebars but otherwise its condition is as shown in the links above.

The bike is in outstanding condition. There are a few spots of discolouration on the rear seat stay and there is some flaking of the clear laquer in a few places. Other marks are minor and don't detract from the overall appearance of the bike. There is one very small mark on the right hand decal but I will supply a complete new set of decals, including ones for the seat tube and head tube, with the bike.

63-year old bikes of this quality and condition come to the market very rarely so it's difficult to value but I am looking for offers in the region of £3000. (Unlike a new bike, it's never going to depreciate.)

I would prefer the buyer inspects and collects the bike but I will box it securely for world-wide shipping if the buyer arranges courier collection.

Last edited:
Back