Ugly Modern bikes

nice Time , i think they call that semi compact or semi sloping , gee that front wheel looks like a mavic , I wish their fronts and rears used similar lacing patterns

vIsO1l.jpg

This is one of my 'modern' bikes - but approaching it's 12th birthday, it's rapidly becoming retro. By some accounts it's blighted by compact bars and sloping toptube - but for my size, it means I can a nice long, low position which is a complete antithesis of those sit-up'n'beg sportive bikes currently in favour.

late to this game I am afraid but had to add my favorite and most hated ugly modern bike, the Giant Trinity.

Attachments

• 2013_GIANT_TRINITY_COMPOSITE_2.jpg
    2013_GIANT_TRINITY_COMPOSITE_2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 280
like many others, i prefer the look of retro road bikes to the modern chunky road bikes.

i never understand why the trend went towards huge fat frame tubes (fat when looking side on at the frame, but thin when looking top down).

they say they are more aerodymanic than traditional CHS tubes, but how does that work in cross winds?

i only own retro bikes so i dont have a modern one to compare, but alot of my riding is on flat/long exposed lincolnshire/cambridgeshire fen roads. When its really windy i remove my bottle, pump and toolbag so the cross-winds have less to make my bike unstable (and it does make a difference to stability). if i rode a bike with 2" - 3" high tubes i reckon i'd really struggle with strong side winds!

There are too many decals on modern bikes and the paintjobs are too busy. I always think the best looking bikes in the TdF are the Mavic spare bikes.

Back