Someone on here rebuild my wheels?

Problem was I was never very good at it due to lack of practice......in the time I took to build a wheel I could have PDI'd at least 15 new bikes, gone down the road to the chip shop and bought eveybody something to eat, gone through the stock of touch up's and ordered what was missing and still had time to polish the floor :)

Shaun

Shaun, I could lace up a 40H cheap wheel in 3 minutes, but taking rather more care in the tensioning than the large manufacturers, it would be finished in about 20 minutes. Light rims like the wood insert 8 ounce Scheeren would take up to 1.5 hours each.

Thought I'd have a go at building them, why not :) Tried to take some spokes out for measurement and they broke very easilly.........I guess all I do is try and measure them and buy some. We has a funny little cranked screwdriver with a spinning wooden handle to screw the nipples on. Going to miss that. :D

Shaun

Shaun, I made one from a bit of mudguard stay wire flattened and cranked, and used a very short rod brake part for the handle.

I think you can only reuse the hubs. The rims are a write off if you want reliable wheels. The holes are extremely corroded and they will fail as soon as some tension is applied. If you don't want to source NOS rims, I recommend H plus Son TB 14 as a retro looking rim that rides well and doesn't break the bank (in modern terms). I have built a few of those and they are ok

Here in anodised grey

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/med ... ail/16/396

they also come in silver

They are destined to be garage queens (well, as queen as a 40 year old pair of rims could be) :D

Shaun

Even so, all my attempts to recycle rims in a bad state resulted in disappointments... you can reinforce the holes with washers, but they seem in quite a state... my advice is, if you want to spend some money, get something that you can then ride without issues.
A builder will charge 50 pounds for the work, plus delivery if needed, there is 20-40 pounds for the spokes, it is worth adding an extra for some rims in a decent state... tyres and rims are what really makes the bike, whilst most other components are much of a muchness

I take your point and any body listening to their wallet / head would agree. It's just that they were my first "proper" set of wheels and I have a soft spot for them :)

I've got some other wheels (EDCO on GL330, Shimano on MA40, Campag on Superchampion and Campag on GP4) with 126mm OLD which I can ride but just being sentimental I guess. I can always recycle the spokes if it all goes pants :)

Shaun

Shaun, I don't think the rims look that bad, I think modern wheelbuilders tend to over tension, and there are plenty of spokes.
Keith

Back