First UK production mtb a Ridgeback?

hydorah":2jkplfbs said:
Now that is great stuff! how 'restored' are you going to take it?

I haven't decided yet.
I am torn between a complete restoration and just cleaning it up so that it retains most of the evidence of its 30 years of use and abuse.

The first step will be to repair a large crack at the base of the head tube and to replace several broken spokes.

pictures of my Ridgeback taken in the Dorsetshire countryside 'back in the day'
had to dig around in my photos box for these, taken with a real camera!( Pentax me super ) and real film! ( Ilford HP4 )
There had been some upgrading of parts berfore I brought it, I think that the stem and bars were not original equipment, I also think that the brake levers were four finger xt ( ? ). I had replaced the rear mech due to bending the original one. Redline canti brakes in evidence on the cow picture.

Attachments

• ridgeback .jpg
    ridgeback .jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,244
  • cows.jpg
    cows.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,244
mrkawasaki":rjj6khi0 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VintageRetro-Ridgeback-Mountain-Bike-circa-1986-/121281840210
nice :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
My first mountain bike was a Ridgeback XT in about 1986 or 87 if I remember correctly. Loved it, rode it, sold it to buy my Ritchey in1989.
Great bull moose bars and terrible own brand tyres with a Central raised section to roll smooth on the road.

hydorah":3w2i8722 said:
ferrus":3w2i8722 said:
jaypee":3w2i8722 said:
Seems maybe they imported various different frames without them necessarily being all the same.

Back in '88 I bought a second hand Ridgeback which was supposed to have been an '84 model. Strangely, even though the components were in unused condition, the frame had been resprayed by the LBS; it was badged as 531 and was TIG welded, or so I always thought...but someone on here recently said that 531 couldn't be welded -so perhaps it was (lumpy) micro-fillet brazed?

LBS must have taken creative liberties with the decals

http://www.bretonbikes.com/reynolds.htm

It's not that it physically *can't* be welded - it's composition and properties in combination make it VERY unsuited to being TIGed - Impractical as an assembly technique
well, it looks like the old dear was 531 after all... this is definitely the same frame + forks, albeit about a foot smaller than mine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Ridgeba ... 3445560840
- bit odd then really :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Great thread.

So my latest. Picked up today. 84 to?

95e92fa81a2f9992b4d74bb7ef4bc3d4_zpsb6a4b47f.jpg

Back