Shimano SPD Appreciation Thread

Been using SPuD's since the early 90's, simple, faultless, reliable.... 60% of the time it works everytime :D

Recently changed to Crank Bros Candy pedals :shock: sacrilige I know, but so far so good.

Toeclips? utter wank! clipless all the way ;)

Every time I contemplate building a bike which uses no Shimano components I always falter at the pedals.
I always ride with SPDs unless I'm messing about on flat pedals, so for any 'proper' bike it has to be SPuDs.

Don't think I've ever owned Shimanos but I always use SPDs - well, unless I'm popping to the shops and am having a day where I don't fancy the shame of hobbling round in my MTB shoes with the toe studs clicking away on the tiled floor. :D

I always found them reliable, apart from coming out of the water splash at Bob's Bash in the 90's where they'd take a few stamps to engage, and give you a really good, solid connection to the bike - which I happen to like.

Tazio":12t7axjw said:
If I remember correctly Look pretty much invented clipless by doing a bit of lateral thinking by connecting the evolution of ski bindings from being strapped to the skis to the system they invented that skiers use nowadays and thinking it could work on bike pedals.
And then the chief brainy bloke left look to go and do it properly, and set up time........ or so the rumour goes. ;)

I used looks and then spds when they were first released, jumped ship to something with float as soon as it was available, early TBTs (lemond era), since then i've tried lots of other options and always stuck with time. Then onza HO on the MTB, which were a pain to get into, but far better to actually ride with than the SPDs they replaced, ATACs were certainly a blessing!

makster":11lcusmz said:
Utter wank. Toe clips all the way :D
So, are you saying you don't like spd pedals? :LOL:

I have just got my first set of modern spd's and am waiting for the shoes to arrive. I take a 49/50 so not a lot of choice really! I have never used them before so I am quite excited about it but a little appprehensive too. That said, the design is a classic and if it wasn't up to much wouldn't still be kicking about after 20 years, including some of the actual pedals of 20 years ago, let alone the design!

I can't imagine ever riding a bike again without some form of foot retention (clip ins not straps!). I guess most people start with Shimano SPDs as they seem to come as standard on most bikes, but I have to say Time Atacs, for me anyway, are far better. Just that little bit of float makes a lot of difference. I do think Shimano pedals do have a lovely loud 'click'.

shimano FTW, & most people use them so trying someone's else's bike is viable. All my bikes have 520's, which don't rust if used regularly. My xizang has 540's, the Mt Vision, big red DX spd's 646's I think.

I'm not such a fan of the Time system myself, but I guess it's.a taste thing. You can alter the float on SPD s somewhat with different cleats, but once your set your toe in or toe out correctly you don't need a great deal.

As an all seasons, all weather, all-time of day cycle commuter love the security that SPD s bring, and very quickly you come to realise you can get your foot down every bit as quickly as with flats so long as you twist a little at the same time.

I'm going to be controversial and say that I think a lot of riders switch to SPDs before their riding skills are properly developed, and that's why many new Spudders fall off a lot.

I've got a pair of 535s, a pair of 540s and a pair of Ritcheys.
Put very simply - they work, and keep on working. I love 'em. Great design :D

Back