My old dads old Road Ace.

Hi after reading that recent topic on tubs im put off . I was going to use them on my bike as original
gp4team issue gear 1993 . Does anybody know a similar clincher rim ?
i would welcome people to disagree now and say they are the bee/s but im deff sticking with clincher s
the shear volume of a spare when you can stash two inner's in yer pouch is common sense.who wants thumping great black bananas sticking out all over the place ?
then if you rip it ? some tubs are £30 can they be repaired?

mavic ma2? ma40? or open sport? all of them have similar profile to old tubbie gp4s, and basically most of the road bikes from that era were qppd with ma2s :)

thanks kbmpi i will get them laced up hope they are still available . also in the tdf in the 90/s a team switched to high pressure/s i think it was polti.
its prob about personal taste i guess and purism as well. A bit like which is the best alloy/titanium/steel or carbon the debate will always exist. my view is nearly always economy and near enough! i guess i will never win a retrobike of the month contest !
but i sure can still dream and vote !

stu,

you'll need to get that handlebar stem lowered to the limit mark at least or that thing's gonna snap when you next honk up a hill and bye bye front gnashers!!

:shock:

Hi arnt there a lot of good tyres out there! yes the market is totally saturated . im not even going to bother..
but the shwallbe ultremo seems to be flavour of the month at the moment , or one of.. i guess its what youve got in your pocket. Personally my left eye start s twitching above £25 per tyre.
the last pair i bought were michelin krylon which i got from a boot sale he wanted £1.50 i knocked him down to £1..... before that i got a pair navy blue side wall vittoria rubino off ebay. i guess they should compliment the electric blue and yellow frame £9 +pp.A word of warning if you buy new tyres from a cycle jumble check them out on your wheel first... they could be out of tolerence from the skip at the rear of the factory !

TGR":331awp7g said:
As i mentioned it was a full 600AX groupset, i am now wondering if yours is a later edition with a different group but i think i was initially right - perhaps someone else will know better.

Richard,
Graphics and shifters definitely point to 83 and 600AX - however looking at first picture the chain stay has a braze on for outer cable stop which the 600AX never needed or had. Transition and last of the line?

paininthe":15v5oh5q said:
TGR":15v5oh5q said:
Richard,
Graphics and shifters definitely point to 83 and 600AX - however looking at first picture the chain stay has a braze on for outer cable stop which the 600AX never needed or had. Transition and last of the line?

good point indeed but how come it has the unique-to-this-model gear lever braze-on as well as one on the chainstay?! i'd have thought one OR the other, not both..

hmmm.... :?

Its got a shim 600ax part where the handlebar stem enters the frame (technically known by me as that metal ring thingy). I think my dads mate must have just knocked it up using whatever he could find before passing it on to him.

The thingy may be the headset and it may prove the age being around 1983 but the braze-on cable stopper is still a bit odd.

Richard

Latest posts

Back