Die!!!

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Just had a phone call from my LBS, apparently they are unable to put a thread on a 1" steerer tube for me as their 1" Die won't do it :?
"the steerer must be made of cro-mo?"

So does anyone know where I can get a 1" die from?
Tried work but they only go up to M12.
Ebay have them listed: Cyclo 1" Die for £45
Is there another source for a 1" die anywhere???

PS: this is to try and cut threads onto a "new" steerer tube, in hindsight I should have got the existing threads extended down the tube before I cut the steerer a bit shorter :facepalm:

Yes the metod you describe in hindsight would hsve dsvrd you. It is difficult to put a thread on by hand so that it is square which it must be for the headset bearings ~ usually a lathe would be used to cut square thresd

02gf74":112asfxb said:
Yes the metod you describe in hindsight would hsve dsvrd you. It is difficult to put a thread on by hand so that it is square which it must be for the headset bearings ~ usually a lathe would be used to cut square thresd

That's the only thing that concerns me... getting the thread started, and straight... :?
A framebuilder might be able to do the job perhaps??

Die sets usually come with collars to assist in getting things straight (though it does help if the tube is cut perfectly square too!)

My experience of thred cutting is limited to electrical conduit though and absolute accuracy isn't really necessary there ;)

Elysarian":1nlca97s said:
Die sets usually come with collars to assist in getting things straight (though it does help if the tube is cut perfectly square too!)

My experience of thred cutting is limited to electrical conduit though and absolute accuracy isn't really necessary there ;)

Same here but if you can cut a thread into galvi conduit you can easily cut into a steerer. I think the LBS just need to man up.

Back