Vernier calipers

The History Man":1w8xl3p6 said:
Apologies but this has just triggered a long lost memory from my engineering apprentice days. What were those little books of conversion and thread tables called?

ZEUS :facepalm: getting old

Buy cheap buy twice!

I have the Aldi ones too and they are around 5 years old, work fine, just replacement batteries required.
Seem accurate to me, certainly much more accurate than I'd be able to see with my old eyes reading off a scale.

MADJEZ":2ue59pt5 said:
After trying several time to get a measurement on a Saracen seat tube our engineer decided that
Saracen probably didn't have anything THAT accurate when they built it :)

:LOL: very true, the digital calipers are VERY accurate, don't forget the thickness of the paint/powdercoat either :LOL:

Can't remember if mine are the Aldi ones or Lidl, made of stainless steel,digital and mm or inches.
Perfectly good for occasional home use.

These days I've gone back to mechanical verniers, for about 10 years I used to have digital verniers but I found the batteries only last about 3 years and always dies at the most inconvenient time possible.

The History Man":hdyu7v8h said:
The History Man":hdyu7v8h said:
Apologies but this has just triggered a long lost memory from my engineering apprentice days. What were those little books of conversion and thread tables called?

ZEUS :facepalm: getting old

Buy cheap buy twice!
I agree,cheap digital verniers are never to be trusted.I suppose Im just an old school engineer but a secondhand Mitutoyo caliper can be got for 20-30 quid and the only way it gives a false reading is the person misreading it.

Mechanical verniers for me, Decent steel ones with a dial gauge, measure to 0.02mm which I think is probably close enough!

Latest posts

Back