1993 Raleigh Peak - Restored and been on maiden voyage!

prezza

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi there,

Have now completed my 18inch 1993 Raleigh Peak.

Have done a complete nut by nut strip and rebuild.

This was a bit of a barn find and all I had to do was replece wheel bearings,chain, cables and fit a Charge saddle and stubby carbon barends.

Spec can be found in archives.

Wire wool and mild steelwire toothbrush used to polish up all of the crome and frame given full T-Cut and polish.

Have only ridden it around my yard but rides and looks like a new bike! I am sooooo pleased with this restoration and the fact it's a British bike from an era when Raleigh still knew what they were doing!

Will be getting in touch with Gil M though in near future as some of decals have worn with age and could do with refreshing. Hes alraedy done proofs and can say yet again at what a top bloke he is!

After that its gonna be used to transport my son around on a rear child carrier.

This is defo gonna be a keeper!

Hope you like it!

Andy

Attachments

• Releigh Peak complete 001.JPG
    Releigh Peak complete 001.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 2,110
  • Releigh Peak complete 003.JPG
    Releigh Peak complete 003.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 2,103
  • Releigh Peak complete 005.JPG
    Releigh Peak complete 005.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,104
  • Releigh Peak complete 006.JPG
    Releigh Peak complete 006.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,103
  • Releigh Peak complete 009.JPG
    Releigh Peak complete 009.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 2,102
Re: 1993 Raleigh Peak - Pink, proud and completely origonal!

I like that mate. I had a Raleigh Apex back in the day. Good bikes.

Update.....

Took the bike on 20 mile maiden voyage yesterday morning down the trails out the back of where I live (Hawthorn Dene, East Durham) and on to some old railway lines.

Weather glorious and made me realise several things after about 2 miles:

1/ Modern bikes have come a long way since 1993

2/ My modern FS trail bike handles offroad much better than my retro bikes

3/ I had to pick much different lines on my rigid Raleigh than when Im riding my usual modern steed(2009 Spec FSR Pro Carbon).

But after 10 miles I also realised:

1/ Theres something endearing about ripping down your usual trails on a classic bike in mint codition.

2/ Its great fun having something so much different to ride and watching other riders faces when they think 'what was that?' as you pass them.

3/ You have to plan ahead more when picking your lines rather than just 'pointing and shooting' with modern bikes which are much more forgiving over the rough stufff. Therefore I think a return to the retro will ultimately sharpen up my skills.

Overall..... I love it and cant wait to get out again! Felt like eating a pop tart and watching the Goonies on Beetamax when I got home! haha

Attachments

• Peak maiden voyage 009.JPG
    Peak maiden voyage 009.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 2,009
  • Peak maiden voyage 007.JPG
    Peak maiden voyage 007.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 2,009
  • Peak maiden voyage 005.JPG
    Peak maiden voyage 005.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 2,010
  • Peak maiden voyage 002.JPG
    Peak maiden voyage 002.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 2,009
really liking that.

Completely agree with you on old vs new. I'm quicker too on my new bike, but some days there's nothing like taking the old steel out on the bumpy stuff :) It definitely sharpens the mind!

cheers
John

prezza":2ues03qp said:
Have only ridden it around my yard but rides and looks like a new bike! I am sooooo pleased with this restoration and the fact it's a British bike from an era when Raleigh still knew what they were doing!

My partner had the previous years model in turquoise, although I'm not sure building an outdated lugged steel frame out of what feels as heavy as scaffold pipe in 1993 could be called "knowing what they were doing" :D

Great :)
Only just noticed the message you sent, you should try and find a Vetta SL saddle.
Looks awesome, :cool:

Took you a bit to find this one Coomber dude. :)

I has a connection to these homes.... due to owning one in 1993.....

I have a summit in the loft , I quite like these k2 framed bikes , ride nicely

Yours looks like a nice build

Latest posts

Back