Do it all bike.

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Lately I've been looking at cyclo cross bikes, I quite like the idea of something with drop bars, but not restricted to road tyres/riding and something versatile with a steel frame and disc brakes, but with the ability to fit mudguards and racks for some light touring. There's a couple of bikes that come close, like this:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... oix-de-fer

But they're generally fairly limited for tyre width and I imagine fitting mudguards with anything other than slicks would be a bit of squeeze.

Then I came across this: http://www.shandcycles.com/frames/fat-t ... -overview/

Am I right in thinking that 29er rims are the same size as 700c and that in theory you could fit fat 29er tyres and narrower 700c road and cyclo cross tyres?

Just a shame it costs as much for a frame and forks as the others cost for a whole bike. :?

Yes, the rims are the same diameter, although the sort of rim that's good for a 23mm tyre won't be so hot for a 2.3in one.

You are comparing a UK handmade frame with mass-produced Taiwanese.

Probably simpler is to use a rigid 26" disc frame - 26" ATB wheels are almost the same size as 700c with 23mm-ish tyres.

You'll have trouble getting fat MTB clinchers to sit on a narrower rim.

Genesis do a gorgeous cross bike with hub gears, and Evans were selling them under a grand. Was very tempted myself, and only my gas boiler unexpectedly expiring prevented me. Looked like the ultimate all rounder.

Yes, the rims are the same diameter, although the sort of rim that's good for a 23mm tyre won't be so hot for a 2.3in one.

You'll have trouble getting fat MTB clinchers to sit on a narrower rim.

You say that, but my MTB rims are only 17mm wide and seem fine with 26x2.1" tyres. Also, when I say 700c tyres, I don't want to use super skinny 700x23c race tyres, maybe 700x35 or 700x42.

You are comparing a UK handmade frame with mass-produced Taiwanese.

I fully appreciate that and as much as I love cycling, would I be able to tell the difference? After all, we're not talking about a custom, made to measure on-off, so to some extent we are talking about where it's made, not how it's made, because as far as I know, even in Taiwan, frames are hand made, I don't know of any manufacturers that are robot welding/brazing frames. Although I also appreciate that we're comparing time consuming hand fillet brazed with tig welding. If only I were rich and money were no object. :?

Tazio":366jj229 said:
Are Genesis basically Ridgeback's posh brand?

Or did I dream that?
no, they are both from madison (importers) and genesis are madison's "own brand", ridgeback are also kind of an own brand as madison are the sole importers. the genesis designer works for madison and this year is the first and last year they are doing full sussers as they are a bit sus! they are gonna stick to h/t and road bikes.
this from a friend who works at madison.
dont forget "own brands" tend to be generics with stickers although I do know that the frames are designed and not just sourced by them.

Why not just but the single speed Genesis rigid 29er (£850 singles permit a grand with hub gears) instead of trying to for JCB Reyes on a crosser

Oooh, no, not interested in single speeds or hub gears.

It was actually the drop bar cyclo-cross angle I was coming from. It was a Genesis CdF: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... de-fer/cdf in the window of the bike shop across the road from me that first put the idea in my head. Then I thought, it would be nice to put mudguards and a rack on it, so I could do some touring, not round the world stuff, but maybe a few days pootling about with a tent. The tyre clearance on the Genesis looks a bit tight for this and the placement of the rear disc brake looks awkward for a rack.

Charge Filter Apex looks like it has a bit more tyre clearance and inboard rear disc: http://chargebikes.com/products/filter-apex/, then I saw the Shand Stoater FT with room for even bigger tyres, and possibly more room for mudguards when combined with thinner, but not super-skinny tyres.

Back