WTF is people's obsession w/ 135mm 0* rise stems???

Can only assume this is a rhetorical question?

Skim MBUK or MBA or whatever from BITD (well, early 90s) and all the racers were running long, flat stems. Because the racers had long flat stems most people ran long flat stems BITD. Because most bikes and people on here are focussed on that period therefore they have long flat stems. QED.

Not especially come across an obsession for 135 x 0, makes a good point for discussion anyhow.

Regardless if you want to run 150 x 15 or even 80 x 30 on your bike you go for it.

Probably cos most riders back then were skinny whippets, or at least rode more often than once a week for a couple of hours. So a long low position was fine and worked well.

No podgy middle managers dropping 5k on a carbon race machine and fitting it with a 60mm stem with 40 degrees of rise. They were all on the golf course. Getting a decent long low stem these days usually means trawling through the roadie catalogue!

FWIW, my old race bike had a 135x5 stem on it, those 0 degree stems were FAR too low. ;o)

For me i like the looks so much more than a riser, and i think i'm one of the happy guys who feel comfortable as well with a no rise...

Win-win situation ;)

To be honest I've never really liked the look of high rise stems - but I just fit what seems to work. I used to run a 135mm / 0 stem BITD because, as John said, that's what the bike was designed around and seemed to work for me. I've recently shifted to a 110mm / 0 stem because it livens the front end up and still fits me comfortably.

As a few others have said - fit what works if you're going to ride it and bugger what anyone else thinks. They don't have to live with the back ache in the morning. ;)

mattr":2bp2j2t2 said:
No podgy middle managers dropping 5k on a carbon race machine and fitting it with a 60mm stem with 40 degrees of rise. They were all on the golf course.
Jealous much? Just because you can't afford to drop £5k on a bike... ;)

FWIW, my Ascent came with what I think is a 150mm/0deg stem and narrow flat bars as were par for the course in 1993. In order that I actually enjoy riding the damn thing it now has a 110mm/10deg stem and a pair of 660mm risers (albeit retro Azonic ones, just because I had them lying about). Don't give a damn that it isn't period-correct OEM spec, do give a damn that it's made it fun to ride.

So :p

Wise words from the great man below

ededwards":1ue08d0e said:
When I'm out on the trails I'm frequently asked "how the hell do you ride downhill like that?". Some folks even scoot down as fast as they can so that they can check out my berm railin' and general insane style.

Being modest I've always kept the secret of my success under a meataphorical bushel but the time has come, dear friends, to share. By using the following tips you'll soon be able to 'Shred Like Ed'.

1) Bike set up How can you ride with flair with your bike improperly set up? A rhetorical question but a few hours of spanner time and you'll be ready to rock and you'll be ready to roll. So what you need to do is:

a) Fit a long, low, mean SOB of a stem. 150mm should do it, longer if possible and a hint of rise means you're a scaredy cat. Why the long stem you ask? Picture yourself on a canalboat cruise in the Black Country, one hand resting lazily on the tiller, briar pipe clenched in manly jaw, glass of single malt nestling in your bear like palm. It is this attitude you need to 'Shred Like Ed' and joining the Flat 150 Club will get you there, fast.

More wisdom here:
viewtopic.php?t=79645&highlight=eds+skills

And here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=235837&hilit=edwards

All you'll ever need to know.

futuristicoldman":3vuj4aqo said:
Mine is about 140mm x 40 degree. So uncool its beyond cool

...about the same as I put on the Kilauea for my daughter, at her request, as she had a bit of an issue with her lower back a few years ago; not what I would choose for myself but she likes it :cool:

Back