Powdercoating a pace?

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Toying with the idea of powdercoating my pace - but worried that :
a) it will cover up the details on that lovely external butting.
b) is a bit sacrilegious.

What think yea - anyone done it?

An aluminium Pace? Depending on the type of alloy that might not be too good as the heat involved in baking the powder (400ish C if I recall) is sufficient to damage the structure of the metal that the hear treatment gave it during manufacture.

I would recommend either re anodising or spray painting. Powder coating does need to be baked and won't give that pretty a finish as it is obviously thicker. I am also a big fan of hydro dipping if you like to get very fancy

Powder coating is nowhere near 400C... we bake our welded aluminium frames (not of the bike variety admittedly, but structural none0the-less) at 190C for 20mintues, and are starting to experiment with powders at temps as low as 150C

G

Plenty of aluminium frames get powder coated. I see no issues there.
You just need to be sure you use a good company that are about finish & not turnover.

PCL local to me in (Bridgwater, Somerset) are awesome.

unkleGsif":20vdzpwf said:
Powder coating is nowhere near 400C... we bake our welded aluminium frames (not of the bike variety admittedly, but structural none0the-less) at 190C for 20mintues, and are starting to experiment with powders at temps as low as 150C

G
G - you seem to know this stuff - what's you thoughts on the visibility of the butting through the powder coating? Good pic of it here on the down tube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 414
Back