The RB Official Road Cycling Book Review Thread

I recently finished reading the second edition of The Cycling Anthology; this is the Tour de France edition with chapters from a variety of writers.

I think I found this second edition an easier read than the first, whether that was because I knew what to expect from the format, or whether it was just amore digestible book I'm not quite sure, either way the chapters are interesting and diverse, with the final chapter by Dan Lloyd a fascinating and honest view of the tour from the domestique's saddle.

Not the best cycling book I have read, but well worth the £7.99 I'd say.

I have not posted on this thread for a while, but I have got through a number of books! So, I will do some here.

Long Road, Hard Lessons. Mark & Sam Swain.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Road-Hard- ... rd+lessons

A man and son adventure. Young son asks dad at an early age if they can cycle from Ireland to... Japan!. Anyway, true to his word, when the son is 18, Father organizes the event and takes the time off work for a near year-long adventure and approx 10,000 miles. One of the main themes in the book is of course the father / son relationship and how they manage with each other in almost constant contact, camping, biking and so on for a year. Good read, written by Father and son.

Paris Roubaix: The Inside story. Les Woodland.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paris-Roubaix-I ... is+roubaix

A history of the Paris Roubaix cycle race, the history of the area, the route and the riders within it. Full of information on the changing face of the race. The villages who ripped out their cobblestone sections, and then put them back in when the race went elsewhere and the riders, the arguments and crowd fights when the 'wrong man' won. OK book, not expensive either.

The Breakaway - Rolf Rae-Hansen.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakaway-Cycli ... +breakaway

An interesting book containing quite a lot of detail on exactly what did go wrong when 2 friends decided to cycle over 30 climbs of the Tour De France in 16 days of riding. The highs, lows, upsets, explosive bowel incidents, soul searching and homesickness (and that's just the food). From the outset its made clear that this was ultimately a friendship destroying experience, but there is still some humorous moments between them. Oh, and they did lots of biking too. And driving. A good read on what happens when you are careless as to what you wish for.

Evening all,

I am amidst Sean Kelly's book called Hunger and it is a good read, it is written in a storytelling way and has some amusing bits thrown in.

A good read so far about a 'hard man' who is very likeable and funny (appeals to my sense of humour) my only critisism is that there are a few spelling mistakes which i find very odd. Also, the hardback cost £18.99 which is a hefty price but i am sure the paperback will be cheaper making it a worthwhile purchase.

Richard

Hmmm

Am i the only reader here?

I finished King Kelly's book and it really was an great read - wait for the paperback!!! I am not good at reviewing books but it was funny and easy to read - the decriptions of events are well told and told with a certain amount of piety, which i like. Sean really is a King and i love his drole commentary on Eurosport because he makes funny comments which are brilliant - and the book is quite like this. Sean did a programme where he rode up a TdF mountain with an amateur and another current pro (my memory fails me but it was on Eurosport i think). As they rode up the mountain, Sean feigned tiredness and dropped back a little, the other went ahead and slowed a bit to let him catch up - he then jumped on the pedlas are rode past with a big grin - it was very, very funny!!! Better to watch it than read me writing about tit though. Sean has a great sense of humour and one which i like and that made the book great.

Oddly, i write this as i have started another book - Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike. I read a few pages and there is a reference to him NOT taking drugs and i thought - 'interesting comment'. As i read the next few pages, my brain said to me, 'can you believe this?' And, to tell the truth, i couldn't. He has lost all credibility in my eyes and a book does not give you the opportunity to question witnesses etc. I think i read 20 pages and put it down. All his claims about his early life - 3 fathers, winning races, triathlon champion, car racer, all the wee stories mean nothing to me at all - he has no credibility.

I am an avid reader and always have a book beside me when i get a chance and rarely do i stop reading a book and NEVER for the reasons stated. I will struggle through almost any rubbish to get it finished, but this book annoyed me the more i read of it - i was getting really annoyed. The style of writing is not good and the stories always make lance out to be 'the boy' - i am me and look at me, i don't care, i can do what i want - i hope that makes sense. It was a total contrast to Sean Kelly's book but then they are two totally different men with polar opposite characteristics and the books show that well. If you want to read about a show-off who wants to tell you his big stories - buy Lance's book, you won't be disappointed but it is not for me. I honestly think i will put it in the bin it has annoyed me that much.

Richard

I always give my old / read or unread books to the local charity shop... they can always prop up a sofa with Armstrong's mighty tome.

I'm about to start Domestique by Charlie Wegelius, but first I need to finish Catch22, which turns out to be quite a bit better than the film. After that I'll be onto Roule Britannia.

Neil,

Seriously, the book has annoyed me that much, I would not even consider giving it away to anyone, if i could get a refund it would.

Richard

A Tour of Iconic Bicycle Designs

This book is well worth getting if you're into the machine itself as well as the cycling. The book covers one mans collection of some of the weird and wonderful designs that have graced cycling. Bicycle erotica would be a good description :) . A lot of the iconic brands get a mention and its the kind of book you can pick up and flip through anytime, even if its just for the brilliant large format photo's. Whenever I put it down I'm left with a sense of respect for some of the great innovations the french have introduced to cycling.

£13.37 at Amazon

Attachments

• 51UvCsnuy7L._SX385_.jpg
    51UvCsnuy7L._SX385_.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5,279
gmac123":xtwivx6c said:
The Flying Scotsman: The Graeme Obree Story

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Scotsman ... amp;sr=1-1

interesting read, as much about personal challenges as it is about professional. he achieved a lot more than I remembered for bitd, wonder what he could if achieved with a little more support, akin to the current era

I have just read this (again), very inspirational guy and some of his training methods in the book I have incorporated into my schedule.

Just finished Domestique by Charly Wegelius and Tom Southam.

I'm not really sure what I think of it; it is a pretty easy and fast read and it quickly takes you through Charly's early experiences of making it into the professional peleton and his realisation that his place is not as a stage or GC winner, but as one of the worker bees. After that, the whole rest of the book seems to be rather a lot of navel gazing, although as an insight into the sacrifices pro riders go through and their lifestyles away from racing, it is a bit of an eye opener.

Worth a read? Yes, I'd say so, but don't expect any startling revelations, it's a much more low key book than that.

Re:

I have just finished:

French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France by Tom Moore

http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Revoluti ... amp;sr=1-1

Cannot recommend it higher. Basically on millenium eve the author decides to ride the whole tour de France route, but he hasn't ridden a bike for years and his preparation before going to France consists of 2 spinning classes. It's absolutely hilarious, and his struggles will really make you laugh.

Putting this up as it would make a great Christmas present for anyone, not just cycling enthusiasts. 10/10.

Back