WTF is people's obsession w/ 135mm 0* rise stems???

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Seems like every bike out there no matter what it is must have a 135mm 0* stem. Nobody obsesses over what crank length you're using or length of bar. It just seems like such an arbitrary point to focus on where fit and comfort of a specific bike for it's rider might necessitate a longer reach with rise.

Maybe-maybe it's somewhat more aesthetically pleasing, ok... I'll grant that but aren't we all supposed to ride these things?? Who cares if you have to have a 140 15* if it fits and it means you get out and ride. My Adroit has a 150 15* and it means I can ride it, a 135 0* would be retarded.

EOR

They do look very painful to ride these long low stems. I normally have higher rise stems as I have a bad neck but if you build it right it looks just as good.

Can't be doing with a perfect looking bike if it's at the expense of how it fits and handles. I will try to find the best looking stem in the spec I need.

Function over form.

no obsession here with 135mm x 0º stems. who are all these "people" you are referring to? :?

Yeah I don't get it, no doubt for some frames that will suit but the ideal and period correct stem will be shorter or longer or lower or higher etc dependent on the bike. Maybe it was just repeated often enough in MBA to make it the default standard, just as 42cm Cinelli 64 bars and a 120mm stem are apparently a 'traditional sprinter position' despite the wide range of road bike frame designs.

I went through a short (bad) phase of having 150mm flatish stems BITD and it was enlightening going to a 'short' 120-135mm stem with a bit more rise.

If you look at most early 90's bikes in the catalogues they had long low stems. Anything mid range and above certainly sported a 120/135/150 0 or 5 (not much difference between the two!) degree stem. Most aftermarket stems were bought by the "serious" riders so would probably be the same. My 18" Kona came with a 130mm flat stem. So that's the "look" of the early 90's bikes and a lot of people are ok with that and ride them fine. Remember that's what the bikes are designed for so they "should" suit the bike.
Fast forward to now and the majority of stems left from that period are the long and low type.

Back