Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Should be the same as my traverse but with the competition part from the brochure.

Can take some closer shots if you have no luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 283
dw_uk2000":2qvyvn2r said:
Should be the same as my traverse but with the competition part from the brochure.

Can take some closer shots if you have no luck.

Wow! that purple and blck colour scheme just looks gorgeous :cool: ..

Here's my Saracen. Its a 96 Rufftrax bought cheaply as a bare frame on a whim from Degsy. Wasn't sure what to do with it - the frame is nice enough, fits me very well, but wasnt worth spending out the cash on a proper Retrobuild.

So, after a bit of mulling I decided to build it up as an expedition bike on the cheap. Most of the bits are either from on here as Karma, very cheap, or from my Box O'Shite. Only thing I spend any significant money on was the wheels, if you can call £25 signifcant for Miche hub on Rigida rims, with a sweet Shimano dynohub front. All topped off with cheap, but easily rub-downable-and-repairable, paint by yours truly.

Nearly done, been held up my my recent rib injury. Just needs a fistfull of cables, the 3 remaining brake pads fitting, and the lights, then its ready for its first camping weekend away. Cheap, tough, effective - a bit like me! :D

Expedition.png

Expeditionfrontwheel.png

Expeditionshifters.png

That really does look good :cool: but i could never put slicks on an mtb :shock: as it's a bit like putting knobbly tyres on a road racing machine :facepalm: ..

Slicks on a mountain bike are awesome. Fast riding in traffic is good fun if your brave, and I would rather be on amountain bike than any road bike.

BITD the couriers in London all had slicks and the pace was intense.

I have 1.125 inch slicks on my trekker xt at the moment and use it as my around town bike and have even done a triathlon on it and did quite well.

They have their place but tbh I wouldnt use big fat ones like pictured above, 1.5 inch at the most.. .

Heres my original trekker in 1989, you could say this is in "expedition mode". This is taken in north wales so I had it set up with racks and panniers but went most of the way on the train!

This is when I lived in London so I think most of the time the racks would be off it but the slicks (1.5 tioga city slickers in the picture) would have stayed on for my ten mile each way to work. And then the farmer johns tyres would go on at weekends if I went mountain biking but this bike saw more roads than off roads, and is how my new one is set up.

Attachments

• bike 1 small.jpg
    bike 1 small.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 358
Chopper, I have a stem with the through fitting for the cable if you want it? So you coul dispense with the cable hanger. Its 1 1/8th though, looks like your using one that converts down to 1 inch but cant tell.

Its says Matrix on it so its not an original saracen. Its black.

Back