Help with a part?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks...Just got back from my local inde bike shop...He said he had not seen one like that for many a year and explained well some things i did not understand...He also said my best bet was ebay which is the way to go i think..I only paid £30 for the bike off some old women whose adult son had died many many years ago...So it owes me nothing and i have time on my side..Thank you for the advice.

hamster":39grmuux said:
Do you want the good news or the bad?

The good news is that it is very rare.
The bad news is that it is another of Shimano's 'let's try some more built-in obsolescence' games. You will need a new set of cranks and bottom bracket. If you don't have a freewheeling hub you will also need at least a rear freewheel, and possibly a new rear wheel / hub (I am unfamiliar with the exact details of the Positron / AX bits, what I do know is that it ain't compatible with any easily-sourced bits.)

Do you mean the bike is very rare or the crank arm is rare?
Anyone know a value of the bike as is?
Not that it is for sale...I will wait until i get the part..(if ever)

Geoffthechef":1bmd74sw said:
I only paid £30 for the bike off some old women whose adult son had died many many years ago.

I hate to sound negative but I fear you might have paid too much for the bike.

agentorange":26ynyjd8 said:
Geoffthechef":26ynyjd8 said:
I only paid £30 for the bike off some old women whose adult son had died many many years ago.

I hate to sound negative but I fear you might have paid too much for the bike.

No problem...I would pay £30 any winters day to spend 5 hours in my garage working on this bike rather than look at the wife all day. :LOL:

And well done that old women for the result.. :evil:

I'd say it was about right given the value of racing bikes these days, wouldn't spend too much doing it up though....

Adamas is rare, especially the cranks however it is also quite cheap. I'm doubtful anything else on there is Adamas though, for ease and convenience I'd fit something different like an SR or similar from the same era.

Thank you..I have the choice of buy one and ride it or spend a few quid doing this up as a get out of the house job and spend some time doing a real good wet and dry paint job....I know which way i am going.. Into the garage i go...
Thanks for the pointers, My thinking is that i could spend a decent amount buying one so why not spend that doing one up for myself and use it..

I have a complete Shimano Adamas complete chainset and bottom bracket assembly if you're interested. £30 posted.

Back