stans no tubes crest

durango":2dy5qkgr said:
Mindmap3":2dy5qkgr said:
You'd need there conversion kit fit a standard rim. Personally I find it a bit odd that their tubeless rims need so much extra faffage to be used tubeless. The UST set up strikes me as much easier and has been from my experience.

I also think its a faf as you shouldn't have to buy an additional £50 kit to make a"tubeless" rim tubeless.

I think ts a bit off too hence why I prefer the UST system. All you need is some sealant.

Seen a few vids on youtube and it looks like they are running the crest with just the yellow stans rim tape not the black one with the valve in.
Any thoughts?

Mindmap3":d0ct7x38 said:
You'd need there conversion kit fit a standard rim. Personally I find it a bit odd that their tubeless rims need so much extra faffage to be used tubeless. The UST set up strikes me as much easier and has been from my experience.

true, it does take more effort to set it up, but then stans xc rims are lighter than mavic xc rims & "tubeless ready" tyres are a lot lighter than UST

Chopper1192":ldt597b3 said:
It's great, until you do eventually succumb to a flat and realise that sealing a tyre in the rain up a trail 19 miles from civilisation isn't quite as easy as doing it on the sofa in front of Corrie, so you'll need to carry a spare tube anyway, which then kinda defeats the object.

prior to tubeless the majority of my punctures where from snake bite/ impact punctures (brecon beacons is kinda rocky) & so far tubeless has totally stopped those from happening. several times I've arrived home from a ride to find little white dots on the tyre where sealant has plugged a puncture & I hadnt stopped riding, nevermind even noticed a puncture. only twice in 3years have I ripped a tyre so badly tubeless couldnt seal it & I've had to install an innertube.

durango":fchl98mj said:
Seen a few vids on youtube and it looks like they are running the crest with just the yellow stans rim tape not the black one with the valve in.
Any thoughts?

stans crest with yellow tape & valve installed & you're ready to go tubeless. depending on how & where you ride (I know your riding skill level :cool: ) will help determine what tyres you want to use. something like a schwalbe hans dampf is considerably tougher/ harder to rip, but also exceptionally easy to inflate, even with a decent hand pump. schwalbe rocket ron at the other extreme will be a little harder to inflate/ seal on the rim & nowhere near as tough.
generally the "UST" tyres are a lot heavier, but exceptionally easy to inflate. the "tubeless ready" tyres are a lot lighter, but can be harder to inflate.

scant":3rmhhnh0 said:
durango":3rmhhnh0 said:
Any thoughts?

stans crest with yellow tape & valve installed & you're ready to go tubeless. depending on how & where you ride (I know your riding skill level :cool: ) will help determine what tyres you want to use. something like a schwalbe hans dampf is considerably tougher/ harder to rip, but also exceptionally easy to inflate, even with a decent hand pump. schwalbe rocket ron at the other extreme will be a little harder to inflate/ seal on the rim & nowhere near as tough.
generally the "UST" tyres are a lot heavier, but exceptionally easy to inflate. the "tubeless ready" tyres are a lot lighter, but can be harder to inflate.

I can't say enough good things about the Hans Dampf tyres. I love mine; easy to set up tubeless, seem to grip most stuff pretty well, big volume (which could be a negative) and reasonably light (well compared to single ply Maxxis High Rollers they are).

Depending on what tyres you run now, you may find them a bit draggy. I used to run a Super Tacky High Roller on Minion in the front and a 60a on the rear and reckon that the Trailstar front/Pacestar rear Hans Dampf's roll ever so slightly quicker.

I've battered mine through some fairly big rocks around Sheffield and Hebden and they've been fine, even at really low pressures.

I concur with that. I just wish they'd make a non snake skin, lighter version for lighter XC riding. the current 2.35 tyre is actually wider than a 2.5 maxxis minion DH tyre :shock: :LOL:

scant":15318bhe said:
I concur with that. I just wish they'd make a non snake skin, lighter version for lighter XC riding. the current 2.35 tyre is actually wider than a 2.5 maxxis minion DH tyre :shock: :LOL:

I know,they're HUGE, which I think is great because by 2.35 Maxxis tyres looked lost in my 36's. Especially my Minnion which came up even smaller than the High Roller.

My understanding is that the Maxxis tyres aren't a true 2.35 whereas the Hans Damps are.

durango":24l2f5d8 said:
Also what width tape for the crest 29'r rims 21 or 25mm? Says both.

looking at below i'd say 21mm
Crest_icon-2.jpg

Back