Weird bike with C record bits - should I bother?

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
I've been looking for a c-record derailleur to finish off one of my (too many) projects for a good while.

I bike's come up for sale with a c-record rear derailleur. Price would probably be about 60-70 quid. However, it's a two hour round trip to go and get it.

The rest of the bike is quite odd. It has Concorde decals but I don't think it's a Concorde. It also has a Suntour VX crankset - never seen that before.

In theory, I could presumably strip off and sell the other interesting parts, build a student-beater bike to flog for 50 quid, and have an almost free c-record derailleur.

But is it worth the hassle, or should I hold out for anothet more easily accessible derailleur?

Cheers,

Johnny

Don't remember a matching crankset to the VX front and rear mechs.........the Superbe was the only thing I can think of about the VX era which would be the 70's.

Interesting :D

Shaun

To make it more interesting, it seems that the rear derailleur hanger is the clamp on type, rather than built into the rear drop out. Who'd put a nice derailleur on a bog standard frame like that?

Very strange............if indeed the crankset is 70's I'd be interested in them as I would any other 70's bits from the frame :)

Shaun

OK, I'll consider that a provisional dibs on my provisional purchase :D

I'll let you know if I end up buying the thing.

Johnny

Johnsqual":3b1nhypl said:
To make it more interesting, it seems that the rear derailleur hanger is the clamp on type, rather than built into the rear drop out. Who'd put a nice derailleur on a bog standard frame like that?

I once bought a very cheap Peugeot that someone had upgraded to C-Record. At the time it seemed rather random, but if you love your bike and want the latest best kit...

At any rate aside from the long drive I say it is a slam dunk, just make sure the Rear mech is not all scratched up before leaving home.

Well I picked this bike up today. Quite a weird combination of bits.
The frame has Concorde stickers all over it but I don't think it's anything to do with the proper Concorde.

The rear mech is a proper second generation c record, the pulleys aren't original bit it's still in ok condition, some scratches, but I don't think any c record that actually got used escaped without.

I have to say, without getting all misty eyed, this is the prettiest derailleur I've ever seen. It has a certain aura about it, the shine it has and the curves. Lovely.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Johnny

Back