cold setting

afp401

MacRetro Rider
Hi all
I'm considdering cold setting a Dawes Super Galaxy of unknown vintage.

I'm somewhat reluctant to do this myself, at least unsupervised.
Is there anyone (Frame builder/bike shop) in Edinburgh or South Scotland that you would trust with this?Someone that will also re-aligne the dropouts again after re-spacing.

Priority would be the front fork as it is 96mm to 100mm but if I go down that route I might as well do the rear to from 130mm to 135mm.

Thanks
Stephan

Do not go there as regards the frame, why would you for that matter. 130mm is fine for a tourer if you want a stronger wheel use a good spoke and lacing pattern. 5mm difference in dropouts going to make little difference to bike and gearing and whover owns it after you may want to reverse the process. As for front I can see the need as most front hubs are 100mm but a lugged for has enough spring to allow a 100mm hub into 96mm dropouts.
See Sheldon Browns website for cold setting techniques.

If you do cold set the rear dropouts, make sure that the dropouts are parallel when you have finished.

Otherwise the wheel will "walk" in the dropout, particularly if it is a QR. Not likely to be a major problem with 130mm to 135mm though.

As long as you dont bend it so far that the tubes collapse then it will be no problem and you will cause no damage.
C

Back