Who are your favourite Bike/Frame Manufacturer ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
My favourite maker of road/touring bikes is Dawes. I know they're mainstream but I've never had a bad one and I even like their new stuff. I had a 70's Galaxy when they were still lightweight tourers, full 531 tubing, chrome forks, no bottle mounts though but somehow that added to not detracted from the bike, lovely comfy frame. Currently commuting on a Dawes Lightning of the same era as the Galaxy, very similar bike be it heavier but again so comfy and stable. I like how they use cable stops around the bottom bracket to route gear cables, nicer and smoother than running around cable slots. Also like their modern alloy trecking bikes which have been around a long time plus the Titanium Galaxy's and lovely steel audax bikes.
I've had Raleighs, Peugeots, Elswicks although nothing exotic but I dont want any more, I only want Dawes for road/touring bikes :D
What single marque is to you the Beez Kneez ?

I'm with you on Dawes :) I've only owned British built bikes including a 60s Dalesman, a 70s Galaxy and an early 80s Imperial. All have superb build quality.

As good as a Galaxy was my Nigel Dean Tour Master, like riding around in an armchair :)

Always a tad to small but Harry Hall was always a favorite

Graham Weigh also builds some nice quality bikes

Anything sprinkled with Kevin Sayles magic dust. He built my Jackson at about the age of 17 and was a harbinger of thinks to come. have a look at Woodrup's website for his current artistry.

Shaun

This is a difficult one, I do like my Carlton's, and Sun's but my all time favorite would be the brief flowering that was Paris / Rensch between 1945 - 1949 ( on the slide after that ), so full of ideas and years ahead of their time. My 1947 TDF ( awaiting restore ) for instance, has an attempt at anti sway chain stays, beautiful Bi laminate lugs, cartridge bottom bracket ( Baylis Wiley oil bath unit ! ), modern angles ( 72 seat 74 head ), stylish twin plate fork crown, cable guides beneath top tube, and ‘ring’ mudguard eyes. Very left field for the late forties, certainly unsustainable commercially, as it sadly proved. Terry

Nice :cool: but lets be less shotgun approach and more like Spokesman and OldTel. Your very favourite marque, not all the bikes you own :D

CARLTON and then EDISON who trained at Carlton and still builds almost Carlton like machines finished very much in the Carlton manner.

Back