What to wear??

isitafox

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right folks I'm still pretty new to road riding and as such have a grand total of zero items of clothing suitable for going out in so I'm after a basic list of bits I should pick up to get me started?
Trying to keep the budget low as I'm a bit skint, will need a new helmet as I don't wanna be out and about in my pisspot I use for trials so any cheap recommendations for that are welcomed also and at some point relatively soon I'll get some clipless pedals and shoes.

isitafox":1k162plc said:
Right folks I'm still pretty new to road riding and as such have a grand total of zero items of clothing suitable for going out in so I'm after a basic list of bits I should pick up to get me started?
Trying to keep the budget low as I'm a bit skint, will need a new helmet as I don't wanna be out and about in my pisspot I use for trials so any cheap recommendations for that are welcomed also and at some point relatively soon I'll get some clipless pedals and shoes.

i'd have to say get some reasonable lycra shorts - you can get away with t-shirts very easily, but the shorts are a must-have in my opinion. I think you can get polaris shorts fairly cheap from various places.

The rest, well - collect stuff as you need/see it cheap.

personally I tend to go more for the more casual/relaxed/touring-y type clothing - basically because I'm n racer and like stuff i can use for both mountain biking and road riding.

I have a few random retro jerseys picked up off eBay which I love for summer - but if you've got to commute in all weathers, the best buy is waterproof thermal overshoes. Nothing worse than not being able to feel your feet or fingers. Clear sunglasses are good to keep the wind out of your eyes & a warm helmet liner too.
Helmet's just about what fits well - I've got a Bell Alchera - just try some on.

In the US, and I'm sure that it is similar in the UK, all helmets have to pass the same safety standards so there is really no need to go all out on that purchase. When I worked at a bike shop 3-4 years ago Bell had a nice lower end one that looked quite racy. I prefer bib shorts and always wear a proper cycling jersey. Bibs will set you back a bit but are totally worth it particularly if you are like me (ahem, older) and have a bit extra around the love handle area. Lastly a really good fitting pair of shoes is even more important on a road bike because the rides tend to be longer and suffering with sore feet is no fun.

dhb on wiggle is a great brand if youre buying new. the spd shoes are especially good value imho.
Strangely the biggest comfort improvement i got was buying cycle specific socks, which eliminated the hot-spot issue i was getting with both pairs of spd shoes. i got mine from sportsdirect at £5 for two pairs (muddyfox)
I also much prefer not sweating in cotton so a decent top is nice to have. the chinese imports off ebay are great value as an initial investment if you dont mind waiting a few weeks for postage. i think i got a pair of bib shorts and top for about £30. make sure you chose a size up from normal as chinese stuff comes up small.

matteroftaste":2t7ltruv said:
the chinese imports off ebay are great value as an initial investment if you dont mind waiting a few weeks for postage. i think i got a pair of bib shorts and top for about £30. make sure you chose a size up from normal as chinese stuff comes up small.

I'll second that. I have purchased 2 sets from Monton for £30 each with free shipping. As matteroftaste mentions the only drawback is a 3 week shipping time. However, for that price you can wait! I have a Red/White/Black Shimano Kit and a 2012 Farnese Vini strip that stands out a bit more on the road.

http://www.cycling-monton.com/productli ... oductname=

N

Latest posts

Back