Bryan Warnett track bike info

Greetings and Welcome to Retro Bike, I think I can speak for the rest of the community by saying that any info you have would be much appreciated

Greetings. OK, Bryan Warnett was a small time local (based in Pontcanna Street, Cardiff, Wales - Google street view picture attached - his place is the middle shop in need of TLC) frame builder. Bryan was a Domestic (washing machines, cookers, vacuum cleaners) appliance repairer by day and built specially commissioned frames by night in the back of his shop. Bryan did this not to make profit but because he cared about quality. Notoriously lengthy wait times for a frame wasn't uncommon and I mean months, sometimes 6-months but they were spot-on. The time that went into each frame could never be re-couped by the cost applied. I knew Bryan thru my early years of cycling and he was a Cardiff Ajax/Cardiff 100 milers club member. In 1980 after winning heaps of events and being selected onto the Great Britain Track squad, Bryan decided to help me out with some new bike frames. Two identical Track bike frames were built me, one ultra light (ishiwata 015 tubing) for Track Pursuiting only and one in standard Reynolds 531 (this one on here) for everyday Track work and training. They were both identical in measurement. These both were built in 1980 and used extensively until 1986 in national events all over the UK. How do I know this is mine ? well there's a few tell-tale signs, the seat tube transfers were run in the horizontal set (down tube set) and not the vertically stacked set you see on other seat tubes. Bryan did not like doing this as it used two sets of transfers on one bike (remember he didn't make on these) but he did this for mine so the bikes would get noticed. The front fork crown is drilled to take a brake for time trialling on fixed wheel (remember this is a track bike and normally not drilled). Looking at the other picture you can still see a small band of red tape on the top-tube, this was done as a marker of bottom bracket centre line. Now there's some comments about tight clearances well, these were built to take 27-inch wheels back then, not 700C so were even tighter, which is where we developed the idea of the curved rear brake bridge. I have attached a Picture of me on this bike and look how tight the rear end is ? The other factor is the the top-tube length, this was shortened considerably for me but this result in a much larger head tube distorting the size of frame. Bryan was a good friend to me but I lost touch in the 1990's and I emigrated to NZ in 2000 so, I doubt if he's still with us now. I used to visit him a few times a week, have a cuppa and watch my frame being built. Both these bikes were 'gifted' to me by Bryan but as Amateur status was so strict back then I have to pay (they couldn't be given to me) the princely sum of 1GBP each. BTW, there is also an identical Road bike that must be doing the rounds as well. If anyone could locate them, the Road Bike and the Track Pursuit Bike even had Cinelli Record engraved stems with his name on them. When I emigrated to NZ I donated all these bikes to the Maindy Flyers Kids Track Club for anyone who need Track bikes so that's where I left them. Bryan had a wife and a son but I wouldn't know anything of their where about's. I would imagine that there would still be an Aladdin's cave in his workshop ! Anyway, hope that informs people of who 'Bryan Warnett' was and the era of his frames.

Attachments

• BryanWarnett1.jpg
    BryanWarnett1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 643
  • BryanWarnett2.jpg
    BryanWarnett2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 643
No problem at all. I am just pleased to have been able to inform you all about who Bryan Warnett was as I was pleased to be his chosen rider.

One comment I would make and there is no intent of stirring up a storm here as, honestly, being on the other side of the world I have no idea of what happened but ...... I chose to 'donate' all three of my Bryan Warnett's and countless pairs of wheels, as well as lots of other equipment to support kids who needed something to enjoy the sport. OK, i also except that fashions change and perhaps those who needed it didn't want it anyway. But, it's clear that my good intent has ended up in the ownership of others for personal use, retention, memories of years gone by, whatever. As I say, I don't know the facts, the acquisition or anything for the past 13 years and I probably should speak as such but .... All good, enjoy the bike and the history all.

As far as I am aware is that it had been at Newport velodrome for the past 9 years, until I suspect age went against it in regards to risk assessment. The previous owner was glad it had entered into RB members ownership because it's a bloody nice bike to ride.

Thanks for that, excellent news. Pleased to hear that it did have some use in a support role at the velodrome for a number of years.

Enjoy the bike, your are spot on in that a dam good bike to ride, after all I achieved some pretty good output on this baby.

I did my best time on a strava ( sad I know ) tt course on it, not sure if I was powered by fear or exhiliration, ;-)
I had realised the lock nut wasn't that effective on the rear fixed cog rendering the chances of skid braking out of the question at the steepest downhill section so was down to the front brake, hmm didn't fancy touching that considering my pace.

joe careless":29qkuw86 said:
As far as I am aware is that it had been at Newport velodrome for the past 9 years, until I suspect age went against it in regards to risk assessment. The previous owner was glad it had entered into RB members ownership because it's a bloody nice bike to ride.

Age went against it?! I would sooner use this on the track than a knitted soot one! I reckon it would stand up to a crash a lot better than a carbon bike.

Hi everyone, Bryan Warnett is my uncle - my mother's brother.

We sadly lost touch with him a few years ago. The last we heard, he had suffered a stroke and was confined to a wheel-chair.

WelshKiwi, he was still living in the house above the repair shop in Pontcanna. Bryan, my Mum and their other brother and sister all grew up in Nesta Road, Canton. I grew up on Heathwood Road, Birchgrove. I remember visiting the shop as a kid in the late 60s and early 70s. It was piled high with washing machines and vacuum cleaners and I do remember seeing the odd bike in the corridor. Bryan was also a very talented ballroom dancer back in the day.

I recently got into road-cycling myself and bought a very different bike - a Felt F6. But reading this thread makes me very proud to be the nephew of a classic frame-maker.

Joe, Malaysian, those bikes you have there are beautiful!

I'm a TV producer and film-maker. I recently produced two films for Rapha's Continental Series. This thread has now got me thinking that I should make a series of short films featuring my uncle and other classic frame-makers.

If anyone know's where I can buy one of his bikes, please let me know - it would be great to keep one in the family. WelshKiwi, I really hope the bike you donated to The Maindy Flyers was used frequently and kept in good condition.

Good to meet you all!

Jon

Latest posts

Back