Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

My daily rider is a Niner SIR with their carbon fork. I started with crazy low 34x22, or something like that.

Now for everyday riding I use 32x18, I drop to a 32x17 for racing including the 24 hour race I suffered though this year.

I will be the 1st to admit that epics are not this bike's forte, though i'm tempted to ride BC's 7 Summits this year on my ss after hearing of a guy enduring the trail on his Surly Moonlander!

It really hurts and I stretch chains like crazy. My Wipperman chains last about 2 months max.

My daily rides consist of climbs no longer than a mile and sometimes very steep, which means I sometimes walk short sections.

If I try for the 7 summits I will need to gear down for sure!

I quite like walking up sections to be honest. I will try a low ratio on my SS at some point.

Currently it is 2, and that is good for level pavement and not much else with my knees!

If you're riding a geared, suspended bike at 3/10ths, vs riding a rigid singlespeed at 9/10ths, of course it feels faster on the singlespeed.

shogun":3cpkizqp said:
If you're riding a geared, suspended bike at 3/10ths, vs riding a rigid singlespeed at 9/10ths, of course it feels faster on the singlespeed.

It not only feels quicker...

You have to get off yer arse and do some work though!

If you like to race, to attack terrain, to be 100% committed to the whole experience then SS is for you as this is the only way to ride single speed. Momentum is your bestest buddy :D

Been doing it since 96, initially because I discovered it on the early web and it was niche which always interests me and because I was rubbish at bike maintenance especially gears :oops:

Never been fit enough, never been good enough but never not enjoyed myself :D

suburbanreuben":rllpyeks said:
shogun":rllpyeks said:

It not only feels quicker...

You have to get off yer arse and do some work though!

Surely the fact that bikes go faster when you try isn't a revelation? The reality is singlespeeds, like for like when it comes to rider input are slow up, slow down, slow on the flat.

shogun":dn0ev0bi said:
The reality is singlespeeds, like for like when it comes to rider input are slow up, slow down, slow on the flat.

Like for like on rider input then they are faster uphill as they are lighter.

However the main point is that they are more FUN and weirdly addictive.

They make you work harder over the ride, which is a good thing if you are a time-poor middleaged bloke...like me.

Back