Helmets Save Your Bonce

Having spent about 45 years living in London and using a bike all the time my brother used to compare bike hats to chocolate fireguards,
until he was knocked off a few years ago on Vauxhall bridge resulting in stiches being needed in his head.
He has one now, don't know if he wears it all the time.
I started wearing one in '93 when a mate had a wheel fold up at the bottom of a steep drop, he went over the bars and hit a lump of concrete resulting in a broken collar bone and a badly damaged hat, he was probably the only one amongst about 8 of us wearing one.
After inspecting the damaged lid I got one myself PDQ,
Occasionally I will ride without but nearly always wear a hat.
Cheers Y'all :)
Kit :)

careful now":1ghxx8on said:
Another thing with helmets is that they make riding a bike appear dangerous,and something you have to look stupid to do.

The way the bulk of cyclists ride, flat footed, maladjusted bike, no lights, on the path, no observation etc etch does far more to make it appear dangerous.

Some people look pretty stupid anyway, and you'll have a hard time in life If your actions are ruled by people perceptions of you.

Just to add.

Firstly, Iwasgoodonce, there is less caffeine in a cup of tea than a cup of coffee but pound for pound tea contains more than coffee :D

Secondly, I started wearing one when I was 12 after I was hit by a car smashing my head on the curb, 19 stitches later Unconscious for most of the day, out of hospital the next I felt I would rather have some protection than none. But each to their own I guess :D Oh and sorry to the poor driver who hit me it was my fault :oops:

Alison

bulk of cyclists ride, flat footed, maladjusted bike, no lights, on the path, no observation etc etch

That shows riding a bike is easy,safe,and can be enjoyed by anyone.

Chopper1192":1izkmgfj said:
careful now":1izkmgfj said:
Another thing with helmets is that they make riding a bike appear dangerous,and something you have to look stupid to do.

The way the bulk of cyclists ride, flat footed, maladjusted bike, no lights, on the path, no observation etc etch does far more to make it appear dangerous.

Some people look pretty stupid anyway, and you'll have a hard time in life If your actions are ruled by people perceptions of you.

...And WHOOSH that sharp thing was a point flying straight over someone's head...

Harryburgundy":3vygjvm0 said:
I have cracked two helmets in as many years...I always wear one

If your helmet cracked, it didn't work. Cracking the shell the shell takes about zero energy, and after it happens you don't get proper foam compression.

Read the article by the helmet engineer. Then, if you decide that you want to wear a helmet, you might know enough to buy a decent one that stands a chance of working. (Either a Snell 95 cert helmet or maybe one of the new French made Bios helmets.)

I never get on my bike without a helmet, would be like going out the front door naked!
Twice my head has nearly made contact with tarmac but thankfully both times there was a helmet in the way. Both helmets were destroyed, I walked away injury free.

Back